Is Metal Halide lighting alone enough?

sylock

What I want to keep: Mushrooms, leathers, Anemone, clams, and possibly a sponge (I'll take this off if it makes a difference). 90 gallon.
What I would like for equipment: I really like the look of a black stand with no hood and two pendants hanging from the ceiling. 2x250(400) Watt 10000+K MH.

jacksonpt

From what I understand, actinics are not required... But many people prefer them, especially for the way they bring out the colors in the tank. I bought 7500k MH bulbs, and they are a little yellow for my taste, so I'm going to run 2 40w NO actinics to balance out the color. you could probably run 10k bubls without actinics though and be ok.

sylock

My big concern is that if I have pendant lights then I can't really put any other lights on the system right? Because the other lights would be in the way of the light coming from the MH.

kris walker

Yup, metal halide by itself is great for corals, but not always preferred by itself for the colors as said above.
sam

accurate

i have a pendant helide 2 175watt and 2 40 wt actinics i can tell when the act are on. it brings out the deep color in some of my corals Looks very good too when theyre on by themselves
The whole tank is blue!!!!
my only advice is to take some time and find out what you want BEFORE you invest a lot of $ then find out you want something else.

sylock

Accurate,
How do you have anything else with a Pendant? Doesn't the other light block the light coming from your pendant?

wamp

Just my opinion here, and others I have read. E-mail me for website if interasted..
I have tried the Sun Burst 12k and have never, ever been less pleased with any bulb in my life. It had awfull coloration and had alot of trouble firing. When balast hooked to variac ballast pulled 13% more current than other bulbs. One fired for 10 minutes and shut off for thirty. Then fired for 2 hrs, shut off for 30mins. It went on for a while. Like , 2 weeks or so.. Just my opinion and experience here, Take it for what its worth.