Is my Anemone dying????? HELP(pic)

enomadra

Well I had to get an anemone but I don't know to much about them. I have had this guy in my tank for about 3 days now, and I put him on the bottom of the tank next to one of the rocks. But I think it is having a problem because of the way it looks

IS THIS NORMAL. I MEAN SHOULD ONE SIDE BE ALL SMALL LIKE THAT??????

enomadra

I have power compacts 55 gallon tank 110watts. I use zoo plankton in the water to feed my tube wroms and the fish store said this anemone would eat that too. how would I know if it is eating???

enomadra

cool thanks... I will try to feed him right now. I have some freeze dried brine shrimp. I guess I just feed him in the center where I see the hole? that is his mouth right?

enomadra

Well I put in on the buttom of the tank (in the sand next to a rock) and it looks like it does not want to move. Should I put it up on a rock? or put the base into one of the holes between the rocks?

enomadra

Yea it took some of the brine shrimp I gave it. I think I'm going to the store tomorrow for some cocktail shrimp. Do you have a brand you like?
Oh by the way thanks so much for the help I was freaking out but like I said he took some of the frozen brine shrimp so I think he will be ok.

j-cal

My anemone really likes krill and silversides. I usually have to chop silversdes, but he eats em right up.

wrassecal

110 watts pc, 55 gal isn't much light for the anenome. Melody IMO is right on about the feeding. If it is eating, that is a good sign. Give it a couple of little pieces of the shrimp or krill and feed it every other day. What you are looking for is for it to start coloring up and not being so white. Also, for it to have more movement as far as expanding and contracting. Once it feels better it will probably start to move around the tank to find it's best spot. It should fold up around the food as it pushes it into it's mouth. It will also expel waste from the same orafice. So if you start to see brown stringy stuff coming out that is normal. It is also normal for it to draw up into a small stringy ball every now and then.I would really look into doubling your lighting if I were you and you can afford it. Maybe with vho. My opinion only. Hope it helps and good luck!

enomadra

OK couple more questions. For the light issue. If I add two of the 55watt 50/50 PC bulbs to my current two does that put me at 220W because I am now running 4 of them?
The other question is on the anemone. I have put it in several spots throughout the tank and it seems to always end up on its face on the ground. Should I just leave it alone for a day and see what it does? Or should I keep trying to get it to attach to a rock?

cb

I wouldn't keep moving it they will take hold when they find a spot they like. Mine still moves form time to time but stays in the same general area. And I spot feed mine krill every other day

enomadra

Excellent thanks for the advice I will leave it alone and let it do it's thing.
Do you have any suggestions on MH lights, like watts to use or brand. web address's would be nice:D . Oh my tank is 55 gallon 4 ft rectangle 18 inchs deep.

ffishermen

I have a green carpet for almost 2 years. I run 240w pcs over a 100g never had a problem (knock on wood);) I feed mine silversides from a local bait & tackle shop.