Is my anenome dead? See Pic

kosarfan

I bought a beautiful condy/atlantic anenome yesterday (pretty big and full) and came home from work today and noticed that it's tentacles are inside of it's orange base. I hope it didn't die. Is this normal? It seemed well aclimated, moved around a little last night, and stayed pretty full.
Thanks,
Brandon

southcoral

I'm no expert on anemone (in fact, i haven't even bought my tank yet, soo) but...i've read that's it's normal for them to be a bit skiddish for a while, and sometimes might even close up when you come around. Maybe you should set up someway to look at it when your not in the room, maybe a mirror to peek around. Or a video camera. I don't know, maybe some real experts will speak up.
~*wish you all the luck, love ya*~

ophiura

Be sure to keep him well fed. What sort of lighting do you have (normal output, PC, VHO, metal halide)? It is a bit low for most anemones...a condylactus is a little more forgiving in terms of light but success with it doesn't mean that the lighting is suitable for other species of anemones.

woodymdt

That's just beautiful! Makes me envious and excited about getting my tank cycled and set correctly so I can start adding these wonderful creatures.

kosarfan

what is the best way to feed the anenome? I have frozen brine and formula two (algae) flakes. I have about exactly 3watts per gallon (PC lighting).....also how long should I have the lights on each day?
Lastly, have 2 blue/green chormis and one doesn't eat. But what is weird is that the one will eat and then lock mouths w/the one that won't eat. Is this a mating ritual or is the one actually feeding the other? I noticed an area in the sand that looks dug out, kinda like my old cichlids used to do.
Thanks,
Brandon

ophiura

The mouth lock, and the fact that one is not eating, may be related to a dominance display. Often fish who "lock jaws" are "wrestling" and the one may definitely be dominant. If they are established fish, I suppose it might be a mating thing, but I am not specifically sure. In general it is not - but not to say it is not in these guys. How long have you had them?
How old is your tank and what are your water parameters?
How long do you keep your lights on? There is some variation on this...in certain tanks, too long may contribute to algae blooms (often related too to water quality).
I don't recommend feeding brine all that much unless it is soaked in zeo, selcon or similar. It is pretty nutritionally poor. There are a variety of marine flakes, pellets or frozen formulations to feed the fish. The anemone, however, needs something much more meatier like pieces of shrimp, squid, silversides, krill. Use long forceps or a bamboo skewer to get it to the tentacles, and it should close on them. Sometimes it may not, so remove the uneaten food. But brine and flake is really not suitable for the anemone - tends to result in more waste than actually gets to the anemone.

kosarfan

Water quality, just took all of the tests:
Ammonia 0ppm
PH 8.2
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0-10ppm (can't really tell, could be 0 could be 5-10)
Salinity 1.024
Also,
I am about to post a new thread w/my new LiveRock.

22caddy

I have about exactly 3watts per gallon (PC lighting)
That really is not enough light. Like Ophiura said, feed it meaty foods. I have a RBTA and it loves silversides and shrimp.

T

thomas712

Find a 380 or 420 watt VHO kit and I think you and the anemone will be much happier. And you will like the look of VHO better IMO.
Thomas