Is my brain dead?

amphicar77

Hi all,
Earlier in the week I purchased a brain coral. I placed him on the sand at bottom of tank.
At first he did not open at all but after about 48 hours he finally did and seemed fine. Thing is, I have not seen him open up since and today I notice one of the shrimp seems kind of interested in him.
The local LFS where I bought him suggested placing under an outcrop so he is getting less light and that then just let him chill out, become acclimated, and he should be fine.
If it is simply a waiting game OK. But how do I know if he is even still alive? Would not want to leave a dead brain sitting in the tank for too long if he is indeed a goner.
Thanks.

dude23455

you will know they are dying when you can see their skeleton coming thru. It is fine if you cannot see that. Both of my brains are in full light and doing fine. Unless you have really bright lights i would put it out in full light

amphicar77

I am attaching a photo. I suppose the area of concern would be on the right brain of the lobes where it looks a little white or bleached (almost a stripe of sorts). Would this be the skeleton coming through?

amphicar77

Never had the chance to feed it. It has been in the tank less than a week.

So, should I assume at this point that it is dead and remove it?

cannonman

I'm no expert, but I would say that's a long way from dead, lots of hope left, maike sure water perams are good, try giving it a small feeding at night.... I got a candy coral from a guy that was FAR worse off than this coral is and it took a long time but it came around, even branches that appeared to be comepletly dead with skeletons exposed came back to life. :joy:

brainrush

Don't get rid of it yet.
I had one that exposed some skeleton and then bounced back. The other half still looks pretty good.
Pay particular attention to the brain about an hour after lights out. He will probably be fatter and more puffed up...especially if he is hungry. Drop some food on him and see if he eats it.
Also try dropping some food on him when the lights are on. Mine would eat day or night.

bonebrake

I've seen far worse off as well.
Do as others have said and try to feed it and leave it undisturbed; don't try to move it and further stress it out.
Keep us updated!
:joy:

taznut

Originally Posted by amphicar77
Is my brain dead?
I dont think so. If my brain was dead i dont think i would be able to type.

amphicar77

Originally Posted by taznut
I dont think so. If my brain was dead i dont think i would be able to type.

If my brain were still living I would have stopped spending $$$$$ on this hobby long ago.

In any event, he does not seem interested in food with or without lights but we will see what happens.
The one shrimp seems to keep picking at him starting today. Not sure if this is good in that shrimp is keeping him clean or bad in that shrimp is slowly eating him?
Will let all know what happens.

seannmelly

Since there is skeleton exposed, it is safe to say you did not purchase a healthy specimen. However, I do not see decaying tissue. Like rs said, lower flow give him a change to open up and grow some tissue. Try supplimenting your tank w/ some food. He should puff up nicely. I have the same brain lol its a green wellsophyllia. He started loosing a bit of tissue but recovered nicely. Make sure he doesn't get sand on him because he won't extend and grow more tissue.
Melly

reef bug

Since you're on the subject of brains... could someone take a look at mine too. I just received this by mail. I'm thinking the white stripes are skeleton.
He has an arrive alive warranty, but dont know about any arrive unhealthy warranty. As long as its not dead, I may be out of luck. What do you all think of this one?