is my chili fine?

dattong

I bought this yesterday 04/19/03. It stood up when I brought home. But today it tilted to the side when fully pumped. Now it hangs down when not pumped like in the pic and raises up in tilted positon when pumped. Is it normal? do I have to lean it against anything? My levels are fine.

dattong

here's a pic when it pumped (just took a few minutes ago). It stays like this for a few hrs then go back to normal (hangs down) for 15 minutes then pumps again.

jonthefb

first off thats not a chili.....more likely a carnation coral of the genus dendronepthya......totally a filter feeder.
in the wild, these guys live in cave where no light gets to them at all...they seem to prefer darker locations in the tank, but most usually starve to death without heavy amounts of zooplankton in the water column....this is extremely hard to duplicate in a closed system because such a high influx of organic material would result in poor water quality and would also be extremely costly, and would likely cause nuisance algaes to flourish!
good luck, but i wouldnt expect it to bearound for long!
jon

j21kickster

i agree with jon 100%- your LFS misinformed you- unfortuneatly i dont think it will make it either:( so i guess enjoy it while it lasts

dattong

that's a bad news, I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this. I love colorful stuff anyway I just let it go on its own. thanks for your help. BTW, I also bought a brain coral which usually put on the subtrate. so when should I feed it? is it when it opens?

michaeltx

I agree that its not a chilli here is a pic of my chilli that is coming back from an algae covering as you can see there are a lot of things that are different about the 2 of them.
as far as the brain the best place is on the sand from what I have read and understand and to feed it usually just before lights on or just after lights out. you can stimulate a feeding responce by holding krill or other meaty foods by it when the tenticals come out its trying to catch the food touch the food by the tenticals and it will grab the food and eat it if its hungry.
Mike

dattong

thanks, so can i feed the brain with fresh shrimp from grocery store or brine shrimp? or it's must be dried krill?

michaeltx

no anything meaty like krill, shrimp, clam, squid, and silversides are ones i can think of now.
brine shrimp if adults and not enriched with wnything really has no nutrient value baby brine is the best but it would take so much of it I dont really bother with it. on the other hand mysis shrimp is a good shrimp to feed.
Mike