Is my cycle over?

matt52

I recently setup a 75 gallon tank its my first I know that I should have started smaller but it looks good anyways I used the turbo start 900 by fritz-zyme to cycle my tank. I monitored the ammonia, nitrite and Nitrate levels every two days and I had very high ammonia spike then nitrite those to are both down to zero ppm but my nitrate is a little high is my cycle over?

birdy

yes that is normal for a recently cycled tank, if you have not done your first water change yet, I suggest around 20%, this will replace trace elements that were lost during the cycle and bring those nitrate levels down a bit. Then I would say you are ready to order a cleanup crew and a couple of fish.

matt52

Thanks for the info now on my water change do I just mix up some saltwater or would it be best to get it premixed at lfs.

birdy

It is up to you, I prefer to mix my own with RO/DI water, let it age at least 24hrs with a heater and powerhead in the bucket. If the LFS sells water that is a salinity of 35ppt then that is fine also.
For normal weekly water changes I recommend 10% but for the first water change after a cycle go with 20%.