Is my mushroom rock dead?

ll206

Hey guys..... I have a 40g FO tank with a mushroom rock. I've had the mushroom rock for a couple of months now. Just the other day I noticed that one of my clownfishes had Ich. I went to the LFS, and purchased an antidote. After two days of treatment, the ich is gone, but my mushroom rock doesn't blossom like it used to. My question is, is it dead? Should I throw it away? Or will it eventually revive itself? Thanks everyone......

kelly

LL206,
More than likely it is not. Usually they will start to decompose ie: get slimy if they are dead. It should revive.

blueking

:( sorry about your mushroom rock i don't think its going to make it from the description of the mushroom. next time if your fishes get sick put the fishes in a hostipal tank that way you save your corals. better luck next time.

twoods71

There are many treatments that can not be used when corals are in the tank.
The shrooms may be OK. Give them some time and see what happens. As mentioned above from my experience when shrooms die they get slimy and just kind of melt away.

concon

LL206,
when mushroom corals die, they dissolve and left with nothing. If you still see mushroom (tiny or skrinked)on the rock, likely they are still okay. Now, you have to do something to revise them. Do 20% water change, add active carbon and don't add any more medication. You might need to do this couple times until the level of medication get reduced to none. Give your mushroom several days and they should be fine. Good luck. ;)