Is my PVC essential for my EEL?

hefner413

I just moved and I'm in the process of moving my 180... yeah... fun. Anyway, my eels (3ft Zebra and 2ft Snowflake) are resting in a 55 gallon with some LR while I'm setting up the 180. I've had them for a couple years now. But now it is really fun to see them out and about in the 55. In the prior setup, I had a 3 ft long PVC that the zebra lived in almost 24/7. It would come out 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to eat and then would come out fully only at night. The snowflake lived outside the PVC, under some LR, but it would at least come out fully and swim around during feeding time.

SO my question is - would it be too stressful for my zebra to leave out the PVC from the new setup? I would love to be able to see it out like this in the 180. But I also don't want to cause it undo stress / harm.

Any thoughts??? Thanks!

R

rcreations

I don't have a PVC for my GoldTail. It lives in a cave and like your Snowflake, it comes out fully during feeding and even swims around from time to time. Comes all the way to the top and grabs the food along with the other fish.

But I know zebra morays are a lot more reclusive, so maybe it does need the PVC to feel safe. I know I used to have a zebra and it hardly ever came out, just popped its head out during feeding. My opionion... unless you have a proper cave for it, that's big enough for the entire eel's body, put the PVC in the tank.