Is my skimmer working?

cyenney

I just got this new tank setup and the guy helped me put it together. Basically a 220G glass reef tank with a 90G sump, bio balls, uv sterilizer, and Big Protein Skimmer but I'm not sure the skimmer is working. I am attaching a couple of pics and would appreciate any help in what I need to do to make it work right. He said it was a "backdraft" skimmer and that it doesn't have a cup to remove but instead overflows to a drain hose(which I haven't put on yet but it isn't foaming up yet) but nothing is foaming up and over into the draing reservior. There is one power head forcing water in and a valve I can adjust which raises the water level in the main cylinder but that's it so far. It stands about 24-30" high to give you an idea of its size. Any ideas before I have to buy a new one?????
Thanks, Chris

niger12

Not sure what brand skimmer that is but I can see it is a down draft skimmer. What are you using for a pump? For this type of skimmer work well they need very powerful pumps. Does the intructions say anything about pump needs or using a pump rated for back presure?

cyenney

He didn't give me any instructions, paperwork, or anything since it had been in his system for a few years. I looked but couldn't find any name/model number on it either. I will look at the pump that is connected to it and see if it has a name. The tube on the right froths up a lot but it doesn't seem to push the foam into the center cylinder where it can over flow, just seems trapped in there. In the first pic you can see it has another connection(white) on the top of it for a hose but I don't know what would go there unless another pump possibly? The black one on the center cylinder is the overflow drain he said but didn't mention the other one.

bigdjp

Not sure but I think the other connection you are talking about is the air intake. Like I said I'm not sure.

nic_u812

Looks like an ETTS Reef Devil of some sort. You said that it is hooked up to a "power head" to force the water into the pump. It also looks from you picture that it is just some type of small power head. Try a bigger pump. I doubt you need a new skimmer, as there really isn't anything that can go wrong with the skimmer, just the pump itself can fail. Try a bigger pump. Look up the etts website, and see what they suggest for a skimmer of that size. Looks pretty big.. Maybe like a mag 9 or so would fit the bill... Looks like a pretty good skimmer though... :thinking:

nic_u812

also, did you say that you just set this tank up? If it is a new set up, do you have a bio load in the tank? If it is new, you might not get that much out of you skimmer anyhow... But I think if you have a bigger pump on that thing, you should be impressed.....

redxlch

It's an ETSS and you have it submerged too far in the water. The outlet should be "AT" the water surface.

turbonut

looks like a beckett skimmer which if it is you need to run a pressure rated pump from 900-1200 gph that ought to do the trick also try put a needle valve on the air intake to adjust the air input fully open isnt exactly the best way to run a beckett

redxlch

Whether it's a becket or an ETSS, it's a down draft skimmer. The black body is way too far under water. See the black elbow drain on the collection cup? That is the collection cup drain It's there because THAT is where the skim goes. Just like any other skimmer. Also, it's missing the lid for the collection cup. Cut a piece of lexan to make a cover. I pise of PVC would be nice to glie to the underside of the lid to make the skim fall over the side of the undraft tube. Trust me, this is where the intial skim will go. See the white elbow on the downdraft tube? This is the air injector. It should be making a suckig noise, but 's not because you are not injecting air because of the water leve within the skimmer body.
Put a block of some kind undereath the skimmer body to raise the skimmer to where the gate valve is at the water level.
The pump should be a mag-7 or comparable to acheive good skimming. A mag-5 will work, but I would get a mag 7. it you put anything larger, you'll be pumping water, not foam.
After doing all this, turn on the skimmer and adjust the gate valve until you see about 1/2" of water circulating where the clear tube and the black body meet. Run the skimmer this way for a day of two. Then slowly close the valve 1/4 turn at a time until you get thick floam going INTO the colection cup. Be patient, you'll be very suprised how much difference 1/4 turn make. If you want, you can put a piece of plastic 5/8" ID tube and run it from the collection cup to a collection container.

cyenney

Thanks for all of the help so far. RedXLCH I will put a block of some sort under it to raise it so the outlet is at water level. I looked at the pump but it doesnt have a brand name. I will try your advice with it but may just buy a new pump as you said a Mag 7 or something. Once I have the skimmer body so the outlet is at water level then I should adjust the outlet valve(big red one?) until the water in the clear tube and the big main tube meet correct? That will mean that in the big main tube with the "collection cup" that the water level will be way below the overflow and a lot of foam will have to generate to reach the top. Does that make sense? I will try it and let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks for telling me it was an ETSS, I finally found their website it does look like it and was able to read about them as well.
To a previous post, yes it is only a month or so old but the previous owner gave me 400lbs of live rock with it and I put in another 50lbs plus a 200g cleaner crew(125 crabs, 25 snails, etc) to cycle.
If you have any more advice feel free as I can always use it.
Thanks everyone!!
Chris

redxlch

Yah, the big red valve is the gate valve it restricts the water flow out of the skimmer and adjusts the water height in the clear verticle tube. If you start off with 1/2" of water swirling in the clear tube, it will start foaming. There should ne nothing but foam in the tube after 24 hours of running.
You can adjust the gate valve for thick foam or wet foam. With a mag-7 or a 700-gph pump, it will remove some nasty stuff from your water.

cyenney

Well Red, that is definitely looking more like what I expected. The foam is definitely increasing although not nearly to the top of the inside cylinder but I am sure another day or two and it will. I need to get the overflow tube hooked up to a collection cup or drain today. Hopefully it will clear my tank up in the next day or two because it has gotten a little cloudy over the last week.
Thanks for all of the help everyone!!!!
Chris:) :cheer:

nic_u812

how did you make out with this?? is it skimming well now?? I just got a simmiliar model off of ---- for $100... an etss super skimmer.. looks like an older reef devil..... i am a little irked because the guy said it was a reef devil, but it is not... looks like one though...
anyhow, how is it workin out for ya?? tank and skimmer pics? :)

cyenney

I will get some pics of the tank and skimmer to post. It seems to be working much better now. I raised it so the Gate valve is even with the water in the sump and put a Rio 3100 pump on it. After you guys told me it was an ETSS I went to their website and emailed their tech support and they responded quickly. They told me to put bio balls in the skinny downdraft tube to create more foaming to make the skimmer work like it was meant to. I did that about two days ago and the main overflow skimmer has about 12" of foam built up in it, almost ready to overflow into my drain line I set up. Seems to be working better. I will try to post the pics tomorrow.
Thanks again and good luck with yours,
Chris

nic_u812

here is the ghetto installation that I have with mine so far... I am just trying it like this to see if I like it, before I make it a permanent home.. If not, I think I am going to get an asm... They look like the way to go.....
:scared: :scared: :scared:

nic_u812

Front shot of the label.. This is not a reef devil...or is it... ?:notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:

redxlch

Originally posted by nic_u812
here is the ghetto installation that I have with mine so far... I am just trying it like this to see if I like it, before I make it a permanent home.. If not, I think I am going to get an asm... They look like the way to go.....
:scared: :scared: :scared:

If you decide you don't want it, I have a 36g that needs a skimmer and the one you have is like what I need. Let me know what you decide.

nic_u812

Originally posted by RedXLCH
If you decide you don't want it, I have a 36g that needs a skimmer and the one you have is like what I need. Let me know what you decide.

send me an email.. Also, what is this skimmer worth?? I am waiting to hear back from ETSS to see how the specs differ from what I have to a current model.....

redxlch

Originally posted by nic_u812
send me an email.. Also, what is this skimmer worth?? I am waiting to hear back from ETSS to see how the specs differ from what I have to a current model.....

Can't send you an email. You don't have it set in your profile. Also the moderator has turned off private messaging.
my email is:
redxlch@sbcglobal.net