Is my tank cursed??

emperor11

Originally Posted by Icon83
My hand leather looks all black already, so I doubt they would want to put it into their tanks.
If its black, take it out. Its dead.

icon83

It isn't all black...I still see some pink on the inside...any hope??

I would hate to remove it if there is even a slight chance of survival...I love that coral!!!

emperor11

It isn't all black...I still see some pink on the inside...any hope??

I would hate to remove it if there is even a slight chance of survival...I love that coral!!!
Frag off the bit that is alive, and place is somewhere where it can attach to a rock, without the worry of it disappearing. The part that has turned black has NO hope.

icon83

Well that didn't go to well...
I guess the pink I was seeing was just wishful thinking...
I went in there to touch it and it basically disintergrated...

The remains are now down the toilet...OH WELL, I'll get over it...
Thanks for makin me come to terms with reality...
I hope the Shrooms, Zoos, and Star Polyps have better luck than the leather...

icon83

Would the lights on the fuge have an effect on the speed of the cycle at all??
I usually put on the fuge lights when I turn off the lights in the DT...Would keeping them on longer do anything?? Or should I not turn them on at all??

zanski

i agree with ALL but the tank being too small for the hippo, thats not it at all... (unless he was like 4 inches long
)... There was a problem with the fish before you bought him, then the bag and new water made it even worse. ALWAYS make the lfs feed the particular fish brfore you buy it. Never buy anything that looks pale or has spots or fins messed up. I went to a LFS today that ive never been too in Atlanta. WOW it was horrible they had 20 tanks and about 16 fish and they were all UNHEALTHY looking pale ich some were upside down. And there way a 17 year old all by himself working at the time. I was SOOOO mad :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Good Luck in the future!!!

I would re-cycle your tank. NEVER turn your powerheads off.

lion_crazz

Zanski, I was not saying that it being too small was the problem. I clearly noted, "And here is where your problem begins." Although, in the long run, there is no doubt that a 75 gallon is too small of a tank for a hippo tang. Hippo tangs grow to be 12 inches in length and need more swimming space.

laddy

Would the lights on the fuge have an effect on the speed of the cycle at all??
I usually put on the fuge lights when I turn off the lights in the DT...Would keeping them on longer do anything?? Or should I not turn them on at all??

It all depends on what is in your fuge.

icon83

Alright guys, thanks for the advise earlier.....here we are about 2 and a half weeks later and the mini-cycle is now complete!
My numbers are reading perfectly now....
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
I know I gotta get that Nitrate out with some water changes, but I'm just glad the crazy ammo spike and nitrite spike is over.

It seems as though some of my zoos made it through, I had some die off though...
Some mushroom polyps made it through, again, some die off...
and as for the green star polyps, they sort of detatched themselves from the rock they were on and look kind of deteriorated. There is some healthy looking area though which I hope will end up living.
As for the rest of my tank, a lot of algae has grown during this cycle. It has kind of taken over really. There is bubble algae everywhere and green hair algae that looks like grass coming out of most of my LR. I have tested for phosphates and there are none.
Is this algae growth normal? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of it? What type of clean up crew, etc? I have some snails but they don't eat the grass like algae or the bubble algae...