Is my tank cycled?

dsbdude

New and first tank! It's a 150G and has been up and running for 2 months with live sand and 1 month with live rock from a friend's established tank. Skimmer is not running. I have checked the parameters many times in these couple of months with my test kits for ammonia/nitrates and nothing has showed up. I have read that my tank may already be cycled because of the live sand and established live rock. I 'm not sure about that so...that's why im here!

tjnitro

Well without some kind of livestock it cannot realy fully finish. but being that you have the live rock and live sand going good it is time to add your clean up crew. i would slowly add animals. I would start with a few crabs and snails. if they do good for a week or so i would then add the cheapest fish off your wish list and see how that goes for two weeks. If everything stays good i would add a fish every week or two. Taking your time with adding livestock will allow your tank to adjust to the load.

florida joe

Add two or three small cocktail shrimp and monitor your water post back the results after two or three days
BTW you do not need live stock introduced into your tank for you bio filtration to be Established

dsbdude

ok...i went to the store and got some shrimp. I threw them in about 4 hours ago today...i'll be counting down those days to post back the params... :)
by the way...i turned my skimmer back on yesterday...should i turn it off again?

florida joe

Originally Posted by DSBdude
http:///forum/post/3152917
ok...i went to the store and got some shrimp. I threw them in about 4 hours ago today...i'll be counting down those days to post back the params... :)
by the way...i turned my skimmer back on yesterday...should i turn it off again?
no and you can start checking your water today

dsbdude

ok...checked the water...0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and undetectable nitrates...(added shrimp on Oct 11)
Oct 16- the shrimp was removed (it smelled horrid!) :)

nycbob

if u r using cured live rocks and sand, u r not going to go through much of a cycle. its ok to start adding a few things there and there. just take it slow.

dsbdude

Ok, picked up 3 green chromis last night, they seem to be doing well already! They all school together and get along fine. I havent fed them yet...the LFS dude said try today to feed 'em...any input?

dsbdude

Chromis are doing great! On my first night with them, one went into the overflow box
but i got him out...

Am thinking a pair of clowns for my next fish addition whenever that may be...
CUC, that is something im not really sure about...i have been thinking about it...any suggestions?