Is my toadstool died?

luckyever

I bought a toadstool leather on Monday. I placed it on top of my tank. It opended up and some of its tentacles came out. I then move it down of my tank and the tentacles never come out again. Its bottom would not attach to my live rock any more. Then, I move it up to the top again. But nothing happen for two days. It s body shrink into half size of the original. How do I know if it died? Should I remove it from my tank. What should I do? Other Corals are doing fine in my tank. Please help.

nm reef

They sometimes have a tendacy to react poorly when moved or stressed. I'd suggest placement in a moderate light area with a moderate/gentle current and leave it be. Most of the time they will shrink....and sometimes even shed a outer layer....but they tend to be very hardy and adaptable....just give it time and provide adaquate conditions.

luckyever

My toadstool is doing fine now. I try to use a rubber band to attach it to a live rock, but it would not do it. Please tell me how to attach it to a live rock. Thanks again for your help.

uberlink

You could attach it with superglue gel, but in my experience it's best with those to just bury their base in the sand on the bottom of the tank. I've had bad luck keeping them connected to live rock, and I had one that fell over a few times and finally got injured by the rock.

sharkbait9

I sterilized a needle and some fishing line and drop two stitches thru the stem and around the rubble rock. Once I see that the stems has anchored on the rock I clip the fishing line and remove by holding the knot and pulling. I have done this with a couple of my leathers, toad stool, devils hand. When I fraged them down, that's how I get them to hold to rock. Has not failed yet and none of my frags have ever had a problem. My toad stool is starting to bud again I think, if it does I will frag it and take pic each step, to help others with a fool proof way of fraging leathers that won't stress it or contaminate it.