Is my water flow too strong for seahorses

annaflowerpower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0aXDO3Cp8&feature=youtu.be
heres my tank.
I have two 185gph powerheads plus the flow of an HOB.
Do you think the current is too strong?
What do I do about the microbubbles/ are they harmful?

mohawkninja

I am not familiar with seahorses flow requirements, but it does seem like you have a lot of flow. How many GPH is the HOB? And how big is your tank? You might want to move your powerheads lower in the tank.

novahobbies

Agreed, I'd like to hear how big the tank is and what kind of HOB you have. However, NO, 2 180 GPH powerheads is not too much flow. Horses can handle more flow than you would expect. The whole "low flow for horses" is an old carryover and not 100% accurate. You have to determine what YOUR horses can handle, but that flow rate is not high.
I do recommend that you make sure the powerhead intakes are covered (foam, etc) and I'd also suggest you add a little more water to the tank...seems very "splashy" to me, which can cause a LOT of salt creep.
Just to give you an idea, I keep my horse with a HOB overflow that has a 700gph return pump, and two Koralia-1 pumps each pushing roughly 400gph. In a 37g tank, and even this could be increased if needed.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/395851/is-my-water-flow-too-strong-for-seahorses#post_3525373
Agreed, I'd like to hear how big the tank is and what kind of HOB you have. However, NO, 2 180 GPH powerheads is not too much flow. Horses can handle more flow than you would expect. The whole "low flow for horses" is an old carryover and not 100% accurate. You have to determine what YOUR horses can handle, but that flow rate is not high.
I do recommend that you make sure the powerhead intakes are covered (foam, etc) and I'd also suggest you add a little more water to the tank...seems very "splashy" to me, which can cause a LOT of salt creep.
Just to give you an idea, I keep my horse with a HOB overflow that has a 700gph return pump, and two Koralia-1 pumps each pushing roughly 400gph. In a 37g tank, and even this could be increased if needed.
Hi Nova...you have a Koralia with seahorseas? I was scared mine would hitch to them, I opted for the Seiko brand, the openings were not large enough for their tails. Covering PHs is a pain in butt, it inhibits flow, and shortens the life of the pump.
I agree seahorses can indeed handle a great deal more flow then it was once believed, younger horses can't handle as much as older mature horses can. LOL...My rule of thumb is if the horses are hugging the hitches hanging on for dear life...it's too strong.
When I first started to keeping seahorses, I opted on for a design that has no power heads at all. I wanted to keep the tank cooler running since I didn't have a chiller on the tank back then. Power heads produce heat (not much, but without a chiller every little bit counts) Cory created a perfect sump return for my 30g using PVC pipe with drilled holes along the return bar....I added longer pipes when I went to the 56g. I don't use a sump on that tank anymore so I no longer use it....But I still love the design.
On my 56g tall tank, the only flow I have now is from the chiller, and the HOB output, combined with two bubble lines that I have no stones on. I also have a bunch of macroalgae that also infuses oxygen, as well as absorbing nitrates, and phosphates. Not to mention the perfect hitches.
Corals need power heads, they depend on the flow for food and waste removal...seahorses just need the oxygen exchange.... with air lines, salt creep is an issue, but I like the surface water to look like it's boiling.
Anna,
I'm sure every person you ask will have a different design that works for them. The only rule is that you do need some kind of water flow, watch your seahorses, and see if they have any trouble fighting the current. A little struggle for young horses is good, it will help build their strength, but you don't want them stressed and fighting to survive the flow. Whatever you do, make sure you get captive bred horses eating frozen Mysis
. 74 degrees is the magic number for a tropical seahorse tank, it will prevent bacteria problems, which seems to be the only real threat to them.
P.S.
The sand looks awesome, much better then the river rock.

Those pink lights would drive me crazy, I personally would find a way to point it down, and not right in your face when you look at the tank...but that's just a personal opinion, not something you NEED to change. The tank is for your enjoyment. As Nova suggested, more water would tone down the force of the HOBs waterfall effect return, and prevent some splashing..

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/395851/is-my-water-flow-too-strong-for-seahorses#post_3525390
Hi Nova...you have a Koralia with seahorseas? I was scared mine would hitch to them, I opted for the Seiko brand, the openings were not large enough for their tails. Covering PHs is a pain in butt, it inhibits flow, and shortens the life of the pump.
Correction, I have TWO Koralia-1 pumps in here. And no, the horse doesn't have any issues with them, nor does she seem bothered by the current. In fact she's quite an active swimmer.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/395851/is-my-water-flow-too-strong-for-seahorses#post_3525459
Correction, I have TWO Koralia-1 pumps in here. And no, the horse doesn't have any issues with them, nor does she seem bothered by the current. In fact she's quite an active swimmer.
The Koralia PHs"looked" like they may hitch on it, so I never used them on their tank, they still look scary to me. I have found seahorses to be pretty tough and hardy critters. My erectus were a little blown away when they were very young and held on for dear life...a month later I added the extra flow back, and they were fine. So I figured babies (under 6 months) are a little more sensitive to current, but not for long.
The covered PH comment was my memories of when I had an anemone...Too bad those critters can't be nice to seahorses, they sure are awesome beauties in a tank.

S

saxman

The trouble with Koralias is that they have exposed propellers that actually have been responsible for amputating SH tails, so most peeps use the nano model as they come with a guard.
As for SH and flow, I can't add anything more than they can handle quite a bit more flow than previously thought, and in fact, sometimes seek out areas of higher flow. The key is to add the flow creatively, and to have areas where the SH can rest if they choose to do so.
Microbubbles are more of an annoyance for the aquarist, but sometimes, when males flush their pouches with water, bubbles may become trapped, and if so, a pouch evac may be needed. It's better not to have microbubbles in your DT if you can avoid it.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/395851/is-my-water-flow-too-strong-for-seahorses#post_3525528
The trouble with Koralias is that they have exposed propellers that actually have been responsible for amputating SH tails, so most peeps use the nano model as they come with a guard.
As for SH and flow, I can't add anything more than they can handle quite a bit more flow than previously thought, and in fact, sometimes seek out areas of higher flow. The key is to add the flow creatively, and to have areas where the SH can rest if they choose to do so.
Microbubbles are more of an annoyance for the aquarist, but sometimes, when males flush their pouches with water, bubbles may become trapped, and if so, a pouch evac may be needed. It's better not to have microbubbles in your DT if you can avoid it.
Just FYI, the newer Koralia Evolutions all have a decent screen on them. I would say that the only way a seahorse is going to chop his tail is if he actively tries to worm his tail WAY back to the back. And even then I seriously doubt an adult horse could fit much of his tail through the screen. For my tank, Koralias are still the best option. They offer a good price point for my wallet, good flow that's not as strongly laminar as most impeller-based powerheads, and with the new models the risk of tail amputation is almost nil.**
Now, let me share something else about flow that I've learned from my tanks. My horses like a decent flow, yes, but they seem to be happier in a CONSTANT flow. That is, they did NOT appreciate the timer-wavemaker I once tried out. I had two Koralia-ones on here (the old models at the time) and I was looking to "upgrade" with the new Evolutions. I thought, "Well, they like the flow of two 400gph Koralias, so why don't I try 2 Koralia-Evolution 750gph pumps and put them on a timer so only one is firing at a time?" My reasoning here was that the flow at any given moment was comparable to the existing flow, and having the alternating current would help with detritus filtering.
It sounded like a good idea at a time. My horses, however, HATED it. They would swim in a current, the current would change, and they would get knocked all over. They wound up staying hitched to the rock and gorgonians more often than not. I tried moving the powerheads, but they were just unhappy horses. I wound up giving those 750 koralias to a friend, and I bought 2 of the 55gph Koralia evolutions instead. These are the ones I have now. They're both constant on, and everyone was happy from that point on. So (for my tank, anyway), no alternating wavelike flows for me. I get grouchy horses if I try.
**just my opinion here, but based on observation from my animals.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/395851/is-my-water-flow-too-strong-for-seahorses#post_3525608
Just FYI, the newer Koralia Evolutions all have a decent screen on them. I would say that the only way a seahorse is going to chop his tail is if he actively tries to worm his tail WAY back to the back. And even then I seriously doubt an adult horse could fit much of his tail through the screen. For my tank, Koralias are still the best option. They offer a good price point for my wallet, good flow that's not as strongly laminar as most impeller-based powerheads, and with the new models the risk of tail amputation is almost nil.**
Now, let me share something else about flow that I've learned from my tanks. My horses like a decent flow, yes, but they seem to be happier in a CONSTANT flow. That is, they did NOT appreciate the timer-wavemaker I once tried out. I had two Koralia-ones on here (the old models at the time) and I was looking to "upgrade" with the new Evolutions. I thought, "Well, they like the flow of two 400gph Koralias, so why don't I try 2 Koralia-Evolution 750gph pumps and put them on a timer so only one is firing at a time?" My reasoning here was that the flow at any given moment was comparable to the existing flow, and having the alternating current would help with detritus filtering.
It sounded like a good idea at a time. My horses, however, HATED it. They would swim in a current, the current would change, and they would get knocked all over. They wound up staying hitched to the rock and gorgonians more often than not. I tried moving the powerheads, but they were just unhappy horses. I wound up giving those 750 koralias to a friend, and I bought 2 of the 55gph Koralia evolutions instead. These are the ones I have now. They're both constant on, and everyone was happy from that point on. So (for my tank, anyway), no alternating wavelike flows for me. I get grouchy horses if I try.
**just my opinion here, but based on observation from my animals.
My Koralia PHs were old ones
I had on my reef, I don't know what the newer ones may look like, but mine had big fast turning open propellers. The front had 4 bars meeting in the center that had a pin holding the propeller in place, with a magnet that seated inside a shaft. The front bars was exactly what a seahorse would hitch to, and I can see one of those things cutting a tail off in a heart beat.
If they have perfected the design and now have a screen on it... that's awesome. The propeller on the Seiko is protected, which is why I opted for that brand. I don't have any power heads at all in my 56g, and I only have a small PH in the potbelly tank...I had a dead spot that needed some extra flow.
The bubble lines create enough surface movement, and the horses love to play in it. You have those awesome corals in your tank...so you really need all that horizontal flow.

S

saxman

Thanks for the update nova! To be honest, since we don't use them, I haven't kept up on the whole PH thing lately.
You're right about SH preferring constant flow in specific areas. They often use the flow to "play" in, or to keep themselves clean of algae.

Maybe a bit strong, but I do not think it will affect them more as seahorses can accommodate there easily. If you are worried about the flow strength, then you may reduce this a little, but I do not think it is so important.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkninja http:///t/395851/is-my-water-flow-too-strong-for-seahorses#post_3525751
I replied first then kind of sunk down into the shadows because I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

No need to shrink into the shadows...just jump in and ask us what we are talking about, that's how we all learn. We are just talking about different makes of power heads, and how they could affect a seahorse tail. Apparently the newer models of the same brand (Koralia) has been redesigned, and won't pose a threat to the tail of a seahorse anymore.

mohawkninja

Quote:Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/395851/is-my-water-flow-too-strong-for-seahorses#post_3525890

No need to shrink into the shadows...just jump in and ask us what we are talking about, that's how we all learn. We are just talking about different makes of power heads, and how they could affect a seahorse tail. Apparently the newer models of the same brand (Koralia) has been redesigned, and won't pose a threat to the tail of a seahorse anymore.

I know about powerheads and all, I have just never kept nor seen a seahorse tank in person. I stick to my fishies.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkninja http:///t/395851/is-my-water-flow-too-strong-for-seahorses#post_3525894
I know about powerheads and all, I have just never kept nor seen a seahorse tank in person. I stick to my fishies.
You seemed so sad that we left you behind in the "shadows" not knowing what we were talking about...Which begs the question...Why did you answer in a thread about seahorses, if you know nothing about them, and don't care to learn?
The name of the thread ...Is my water flow too strong for seahorses
. Aside from talking about water flow and power heads, we talked about seahorses.

My invite still stands, jump in and discuss, but if you don't care anymore about the discussion at hand...find a thread you can relate to. We are all here to learn and share about the hobby we love. I don't get on too many threads discussing the building of stands, I look at the awesome finished projects, but I have nothing to contribute during the build. Sometimes I do jump in with a question, and I have always gotten an answer.