Is natural ocean water better than making saltwater your self?

ifirefight

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Can you list your fish, corals, and inverts? and how many time do you chage your water?
130 gallon,200 lbs LR, LS , Purple Tang, Royal Gramma, 2 percs, 1 Mandrin...going down hill though... 2 clams,blood shrimp,3 pep shrimps,Nass snails,astera snails,hermies,LOTS of corals.....Brain,bubble,torch,xenia,star polyps,mush,hammer,ricordia,zoas,pagoda cup, lots more...Water change 15-20% every month or 6 weeks.

ifirefight

Thats very nice, are you going to frag corals any time soon?
I just fragged some Zoas and Mushrooms for a few different local reefers

ifirefight

Do you think you can send some corals by mail?
I usually only do local trades....Shipping is such a hassel. BUT I supppose it matters what you have to trade?? I only trade....not sell...

rara12

Back on topic, the only reason i dont use water from the ocean here is because people out of state dont call us "Dirty Jersey" for nothing, although we both resent and disagree with that statement. There is tons of garbage in on our beaches and well there was that incident with the dirty needles washing up on the beach and more recently active WWI bombs...LOL

oceansidefish

I would be careful using california ocean water in a reef tank. Florida is one thing where it is much warmer. Here you have to worry about red tide and other lovely california additions such as what I know and love to call the "hola flow". Water flows from mexico and makes its way north, lord knows its dirty and full of things a lovely coral frag from a nice warm sea would not like.