Is our Reef tank too clean or a faulty skimmer?

kat 4

Hi - we have a 75 gallon reef tank with live rock, sand, inverts, corals, sump with mangroves, etc. and a few fish. All peramiters are good- but we just got a new Aqua C urchin skimmer and it seems too clean (the skimmer) It foams and bubbles incredibly well but not much "gunk" is coming into it. Just a little bit of stuff. We've had it going for over a month so it is just weird. The place we got it from just said our tank must be pretty clean. I find that strange though- but maybe after 3 years it is. Any wisdom? All seems fine but it just seems like the skimmer should have more "junk" that it is skimming. We have yellow tang, hippo tang, flame angel, and a cinnamon clown. 2 gobies, and lots of clean up crew. Any advice - is it the skimmer or could our tank really be that clean? Nitrates are around 10- all else is normal.

aztec reef

were your Nitrates at around 10 before you got the skimmer????
It might be that your tank's biological filtration is doing a great job.. And that there's little to nothing left for your skimmer to do ..
If the skimmers chamber is full of micro-bubbleling, its working... just let it run... A 3 year old tank, should be in a mature state..

fishygurl

my 72 gallon has never had a skimmer (skimmer we had needed to be in higher level water..) and all the water levels have been pretty good and stable through out the 1-2 years its been up
so it could be that your tank doesnt need one, so it could be working fine im sure by adding one all your doing is helping your tank a little more for filtration

kat 4

Thanks! I guess I'm so used to a filthy skimmer that this is just weird to me---yes it is bubbling incredibly well so that is good to know. I've never not had a skimmer so I appreciate the input.

dragonboy

I use to use a skimmer but now I just filter with floss and carbon and natural filters. It seem to be doing a great job because I notice I have fewer hair algae and fewer bubble algae that seem to die off. Also I think it has to do with fewer fish and feeding less that really helps a lot.

gatorwpb

with that bioload, it should be skimming something. the urchin is a little small for a 75 IMO
Maybe its still breaking in?
does the water level need to be set higher?
See if you can tweak it some, the fish poo from 2 tangs and an angel should give the skimmer plenty to remove.

stanlalee

If your reef tank nitrates are at 10ppm the tank is not that clean. Skimmers removed organics before they are broken down biologically so even if they were broken down naturally they are still present in the water column 1rst. Perhaps your expectation of the skimmer is too high (especially if you've been looking at often posted photos of more heavy duty orientated skimmers set up to skim dry). As long as your getting a steady consistant amount of skimate dont get too hung up on how wet/dry dark/light it is. You would have likely benefited going for the Urchin Pro with your tank size and stock but I dont think that has anything to do with the nastyness of your skimate. Also I've found the older and more broken in skimmers get the better they work. I bet in 6 months it will be plenty funky enough for you. If the tank is healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

kat 4

Yah we have the urchin in our 29 gallon sump - it said for 75 gallons. I guess time will tell...it may still be breaking in - thanks for the wisdom!

aztec reef

First, the skimmer does nothing to nitrate . Think of skimmers as insurance against nitrates, but not a remover of nitrates.. since they only remove organics and inorganics before they accumulate/process to turn to nitrates.
Nitrate are very soluble substance, easily dissolved in water and extremely hard to remove.
The three proven methods of reducing or removing nitrate are: 1) demineralization by distillation or RO unit. 2) ion exchange; aka dionization and 3) blending= water changes with ro/di water.
That 10ppm nitrate has been accumulating in your tank, way long before your skimmer even existed...
Your tank has reached a chemistry equilibrium, leaving you with the byproduct of nitrates. ( all this build up happend trough many stages throughout the tank's maturing process.. Think about all those phases and imbalances that you encounter back then, start by cycling, algea blooms, bioload increased, decaying organics, excess impurity buildup, accumulated nutrients,chemicals ,ammonia spikes, and many other cirscumstances.. and all of this was endured skimerless. That makes 10ppm of nitrates seem harmless in a 3 year old skimmerless tank.