is polyuerethane okay

E

eric b 125

is there anything else that i could use to seal the wood that wouldnt take a month to cure?

aquaman

I am sure there is, and you could probably get away with it sooner, but I would ere in the side of caution especially if you have any money at all in you aquarium.

E

eric b 125

the dude at HD said he never heard of polyurethane acrylic... no idea where to get it. i used an indoor/outdoor paint, i wonder if that will be good enough?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///forum/thread/384519/is-polyuerethane-okay#post_3369025
the dude at HD said he never heard of polyurethane acrylic... no idea where to get it. i used an indoor/outdoor paint, i wonder if that will be good enough?
It should hold up for a little while.
You should go back there grab yourself a can of this (which I know they sell) and slap that guy and the face and say...LOOK!!!

E

eric b 125

sweet jebus... that's what i originally had brought home but i dont want to wait a month. i guess i'll go back and grab a can. you're saying i can use the canopy in 24 hrs...?

aquaman

I would not use it right away, it takes a month for it to cure. If you have heat then a little less, but maybe a week less. I work with the stuff all the time. It may not harm your tank, but why take the chance.

E

eric b 125

well, i guess its too late... i put a coat on already. damn...

2quills

The polycrylic is water based and can cure as little as 12-18 hours or 2-3 weeks to fully cure 100%. Your typical polyurethane which is oil based can take anywhere from several weeks to up to a full year to cure in some cases. However, both products are used on hardwood floors and within 2-4 days, even the polyurethane is hard enough to walk on and begin moving furniture onto right after that time in many cases. Temperature and humidity all play a roll in how long the process takes.
So even though it may not be 100% cured after 24 hours, unless you are going to be dunking your canopy in the tank like an oreo cookie in a cup full of milk I don't think you'll have terribly much to worry about. Personally I would do at least 2-3 coats and give it a full 48 hours before putting it into service but that's just me. Certianly, the longer you can wait the better. However I can only venture to guess how many hobbiest have used polyurethane and put it into service almost immediately. Too my knowledge I haven't heard of any adverse effects from doing so.
Aquaman: What is your concern in the matter? Meaning, are you concerned with contamination being caused to the tank somehow or is it that the heat and humidity will cause the poly to take longer to cure? I only ask because it's not like he's using the stuff on his wood floor...he's only looking for a moisture barrier in his canopy. Personally I think it will be dry enough for him to get away with after a day or two in this case. Just currious.

2quills

Eric: Here is the link to Minwax website with the product details. They state that the product dries in 2 hours and you can re-apply your next coat after that time. If you go into the FAQ link you will see where they answere a question regaurding moisture after the product has dried. And if you then go into the Directions link you will see it says can be put into full service after 24 hours. I think you'll be fine with the polycrylic.
http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/********-clear-protective-finishes/polycrylic-protective-finish.html

aquaman

Quote:
Aquaman: What is your concern in the matter? Meaning, are you concerned with contamination being caused to the tank somehow or is it that the heat and humidity will cause the poly to take longer to cure? I only ask because it's not like he's using the stuff on his wood floor...he's only looking for a moisture barrier in his canopy. Personally I think it will be dry enough for him to get away with after a day or two in this case. Just currious.
I work with the stuff all the time. It can contaminate a tank if not cured, not that it will happen, but that it can happen. In the summer/warmer months cure time is shorter, but the OP is from PA according to his bio, so I am sure it is still cool and humid. Besides that you could get spalding in the wood over the course of a year which could allow moisture in and rot the wood faster than normal use for the aquarium. For my own use I would err on the side of caution and give the poly time to cure, at least a week to be on the safe side. It is up to him and he may never have a problem with it, and I hope he does not.

E

eric b 125

quills: thanks a lot for doing some research (something i should have done). considering that there's very little splashing that happens at the water surface of my tank, i'm not too concerned with waiting a month.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman http:///forum/thread/384519/is-polyuerethane-okay#post_3369148
I work with the stuff all the time. It can contaminate a tank if not cured, not that it will happen, but that it can happen. In the summer/warmer months cure time is shorter, but the OP is from PA according to his bio, so I am sure it is still cool and humid. Besides that you could get spalding in the wood over the course of a year which could allow moisture in and rot the wood faster than normal use for the aquarium. For my own use I would err on the side of caution and give the poly time to cure, at least a week to be on the safe side. It is up to him and he may never have a problem with it, and I hope he does not.
10/4: I wouldn't rush it if it can be avoided.
On another note: For the build that I have going on right now I used a marine grade (two part) urethane enamel paint for the inside of my stand and canopy. It's been about 6 months and still curring so hopefully I'll be safe when the time comes for all systems go. Surface was pretty hard after about 3-4 days and now it's darn near as hard as glass. Very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone for this type of application. Little pricey though.

E

eric b 125

aquaman: sorry brother, i didnt mean to brush-off your comment earlier. you must have posted while i was reading that link and when i replied i didnt realize you had posted.