Is Protien Skimming Enought?

klo

Hi,
I have had my 40 gallon aquarium for about a year and a half.
I have been using a canister filter and a bak-pak 2R since the beginning. My question: Is protien skimming enough filtration? I ask because my canister filter is beginning to fall apart and is a pain to work with anyway. Should I invest more money in it or just put it in the garage? I know that it is useful because when I take apart the canister it is full of sludge. However, my protien skimmer does not need to emptied very often.
I have a Solar Fairy, a six-line wrasse, scarlet cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, a couple peppermint shrimp, a strawberry crab, red mushrooms, hairy mushrooms, green star polyps, and snake polyps. A bunch of hermits and snails and a lot of LR & LS.
Troubled,
Kenny

oceana

in our reef we use a HOB filter simply for filtering out large particals.
other then that we only use a aqua C pro with Mag drive for filtration.
keep in mind we also have a sump/fuge and lots of live rock and sand.

klo

Thanks. Does anyone rely soley on protien skimming? I do not have a sump/fuge. I do have some plants in the tank.

wax32

If you have a lot of LR (1 pound per gallon or more) and a decent sized sand-bed you should be fine with just the skimmer. I also like to run a HoB aquaclear filter with just some carbon to keep my water clear... technically it's a filter but just barely. I don't have a sump/'fuge.

wax32

Yeah ditch the canister. Make sure you have enough flow in your tank, since you will be removing a flow source.

1journeyman

I set my tank up with live rock, a deep sand bed (very deep), a protein skimmer and several powerheads.
Everything seems to be going great 2 months after the cycle.

klo

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else only use protien skimming? One question though. When I was using my canister filter (proquatics 1600), it did collect a LOT of gunk. Will protein skimming start catching the extra sludge, or will the LR/LS biofilter do something with it. I am still hesitant because I have used both for so long. Perhaps a small mechanical filter would be a good buy?

oceana

i think running a HOB of some kind with filter pads just to remove larger particals is needed. just be sure that you are changeing out your pads on a regular basis
it will also give you a place to put carbon when you want to polish your water

gfk

just buy a cheapo hob filter from walmart and replace the 3 dollar carbon pads every 3 weeks or so. i just use mine for water movement alone with my bakpak2, but it does still collect some crap in there

57chev

To answere the question is skimming enough. No its not. Regular water changes are your best, and I believe the cheapest way to keep your water perfect. With a 40 gal set-up consistent small water changes will be simple

ophiura

I think you can probably ditch it and use the advice above. Also remember to add powerheads if you are removing a hunk of your circulation. Do you have biological media in your filter? You may want to either keep it in salt water until you are sure your tank doesn' have a spike or anything, or just put it in a mesh bag or whatever in part of the tank and remove it slowly, kinda like you would if you were removing bioballs from a wet dry. Just a little bit of security if you are at all worried.