Is Something Wrong??????

bigspanknasty

I have a BTA and it is a pretty big anemone. This morning it was fine all layed out and pretty, now it is shrunk up and not even big enough for one clown. Is something wrong, or is this normal?

mr.clownfish

its dying.
i hate situations like this because its not 100% dead yet but its dying and if that thing dies in there it will kill everything with it.
what kind of lights r u using? what have u feed it? what are your water parameters? how old is the tank?

bigspanknasty

I am using T5 lighting, I have only had it a couple of days. I havent tried feeding it. I was planning on that tonight. Everything is reading at zero, my water flow is great. My tank has been set up for about 2 months now.

dmv

It could be possible that its not used to your light when i received mine it was open after i drip aclimated it and added it to my tank later on it closed when my night lights came on it was happy and opened when my halide would come on close up again I installed 7 layers of mesh screen over it and each day or so i remove a layer now it stays open all day , now your lights might not be super powerfull but they may be stronger than what your lfs had good luck ,

karensanemones

bigspanknasty;2602017 said:
I have a BTA and it is a pretty big anemone. This morning it was fine all layed out and pretty, now it is shrunk up and not even big enough for one clown. Is something wrong, or is this normal?[/QUOTE}
Now now everyone, don't jump the gun and say it is dying. There are many reasons that is goes down in size, usually expelling it's water to replace with new is the biggest reason,
they also close up at night and sometimes when pooing.
How long have you had your anemone and are you feeding it?
Have you seen it poo before?
www.karensroseanemones.com will help you.

mr.clownfish

most people say ur tank should be around 6 months old before u add an anemone. ur lighting is good. i think its the age of ur tank.

lexluethar

Anemone's do this from time to time, and as long as they are not in this 'shrivled' state for longer than a day you should be fine. I've had my BTA for a while now, and about every few days it shrinks from about 7 inches in diameter to around 1. It looks extremely stringy, but then the next morning it is huge again. If it only does this for a short period of time (<24 hours) don't worry about it.
If after a day it is stil in this deflated state, start checking your water parameters. Since you just added T5 lighting it could be still acclimating to the light.
Keep an eye on it.