Is the cycle complete?

GregJames

The tank has been running for about 2 weeks now. The ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0, and the nitrate level is 5.
I added 5 snails, 5 crabs, and a clown a couple days ago, and they seem to be doing great. The clown is pretty active and has been utilizing the entire tank, as well as darting after food when fed.

The only thing that is weird, is that there is a fairly dense "fog" swirling in the tank, and the filter doesn't seem to be able to clear it. It has been there for about 4 days now with the same consistency.

Any suggestions?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Need more info about your tank. Like size, does it have live rock, live sand, how it is set up, etc. Also, I will tell you right off that two weeks is not long enough for a cycle for the animal load you put in there unless you have a bigger tank with cured live rock and live sand.

What is your nitrite reading?

GregJames

Nitrites and ammonia are showing 0, with nitrates at 5.
29gal tank, about 15lb of live sand.
Marineland Penguin dual biowheel filter
2 powerheads (only 1 is on until I add live rock)
Marineland heater set to 80*

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This is considered a small tank. You may need to consider a small skimmer in the future, or perhaps even a refugium with macro algae that will act as a natural filtration for your system (as does the live rock and the live sand). Your readings seem good for now. Check daily over the next couple of weeks. You can add maybe two more fish down the line, but nothing more now. That size tank is considered nano and it is only going to support very small fish and only 2-3. If you cure the live rock in a dedicated bucket with salt water and a pump running you could just add that right on in the tank which will help out a lot. Better to have added the live rock and sand together, and hold off on fish and livestock. However, it will hopefully be good.

The other consideration you have is introducing sick fish into your system since you've not used quarantine.

Chad C.

If you don't feel like adding a skimmer, I've been told it means more frequent water changes. I do a 20% change every two weeks with not having a protein skimmer

GregJames

Yeah I ordered everything at the sometime; however, the rock somehow became two weeks late after being setup. It was supposed to go in the day after I filled it up..

What process do you suggest to cure the rock?

streamer

from experience this hobby requires a ton of patience, don't rush it.. if you think that the tank has cycled wait another 2 weeks... sometimes thing tend to sneak up on us...or go south over nite...

Kristin1234

So no live rock?

When you add the live rock it is possible your tank could have a mini cycle.

This could raise your ammonia quite a bit, hopefully your clown can make it. They are hardy but still, 2 weeks is just not enough time.

Did your ammonia ever spike? It's possible the cycle hasn't even began.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said. Use a dedicated bucket with salt water and a pump. If the room temp is too cool, then add a heater (75 deg. or the temp of your tank). You can use a rubbermaid container but whatever you use it must be dedicated. Take readings every couple of days and once you get zero readings then you are ready to add to tank. Be sure to feed the live rock a pinch of food daily to keep it "live".

streamer

make sure that the container is food grade as well, some plastic's leach terrible things for fish... if you can go to a restaurant and see if they have food grade pails..I am in Canada and went to Tim Horton's and got my pails from them... or Rubbermaid brute garbage cans are safe as well..
I agree, when you add your rock your tank will do another mini cycle depending on how rock you are going to be adding...best advise is that the sand/substrate and rock go in together...
there is a lot of great advise here for you to get you started...