Is the Live Rock they sell over the net cured and ready to be droped in?

Im about to buy some live rock from saltwaterfish.com Is it cured and ready to be droped in? some body let me know before I do. Is it worth the money? I found it cheap and quick delivery... W/B soon...

T

therock0861

Most places on the internet do cure their live rock before shipping but once shipped to you through the mail die off occurs so when it arrives it is only 50-80% cured. So if you have live stock in your aquarium you will probably be better off getting cured rock from an lfs where you can take it home in water. The uncured rock will cause a big spike in your ammonia and could prove fatal to your live stock. HTH

bdubbya

If you do have livestock you can stick the live rock in a big CLEAN trash can. Stick a powerhead or an airstone in the water for movement, and change the water every couple of days. It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, so you'll have to be patiant just like always with sw. HTH. Good luck. ;)

We just got a shipment from SWF.com on thursday. In Jan the rock smelled good when it came out of the box, this week it stunk. Must be a difference in the temp outside. It had a lot of die off this time. We are cycling out tank with it so it is okay, but the den smells funky!
For my tanks that are up and running I buy additional rock from the LFS with corals growing on them. This was the plan all along so I left room for additional rock.
If you are just starting your tank, the rock online is far cheaper than at the LFS. If you are up and running then you will need to cure it for atleast two weeks in a seperate container. HTH