Is there a fish-per-gallon ratio?

novahobbies

Depends on the size of the fish you're looking at, the filtration, etc. You could house 2, maybe three small fish in the 14, and 3 to 4 in the 24.....but I'm coming from the standpoint of limiting the size to a 2-3 inch max fish length. Firefish, cardinals, reefsafe wrasses like fairies or flashers, that sort of thing.
Aw, what the hell. Throw a grouper in there. He'll live..... for a week.

pezenfuego

Try putting a 10 inch goldfish in a 10 gallon tank...it isn't happening trust me. That rule should be overlooked PERIOD. It is something we tell FW newbies so that they don't go crazy with overstocking. It is generally okay since they start off with small fish. When in doubt, add less. If you want a more professional opinion about a desired stocklist, post a question. We are on call 24/7

geoj

Use the Nitrate parts per million rule = If the nitrate ppm is low enough that you are ok with the algae growth then you don’t have too many fish.

everest

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/2949289
Try putting a 10 inch goldfish in a 10 gallon tank...it isn't happening trust me. That rule should be overlooked PERIOD. It is something we tell FW newbies so that they don't go crazy with overstocking. It is generally okay since they start off with small fish. When in doubt, add less. If you want a more professional opinion about a desired stocklist, post a question. We are on call 24/7

i meant it didn't apply to any water type.. but thanks...

stanlalee

there is no ratio. knowledge of species and common sense dictate the rule of thumb. I know there's some inches of fish per gallon ratio probably based on biological capacity but even that can vary greatly based on husbandry/equipment ect.

pezenfuego

There is a more accurate, but still not dependable way of determining this. It has more than just the one variable. It has size of fish, surface area of the tank, tank volume, and a chart seperating fish into groups according to length to aid in determining this. I forget how to do it, but teemed with information from this site about specific fish and the minimum tank sizes for them, this is far more accurate. You can google it, but I haven't had any luck. I may have found this in a book, it's been a while and I never really needed to use it.