Is there a problem if I add multiple corals at once?

bohle

I am getting a few frags, is there a problem if I add them all at once? Will anything in my water change?
thanks

J

jrthomas40

no there is no big deal...nothing should change unless you add one and it dies or you put something in dead but adding all at once is ok

jonthefishguy

You should be fine adding multiple corals at all at once. Depending on the type of coral and intensity of your lights, you should place them on the bottom and over weeks time, raise them closer. This is to ensure that your corals don't get shocked by light that they are being introduced to. Other than that all should fine.

flricordia

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
You should be fine adding multiple corals at all at once. Depending on the type of coral and intensity of your lights, you should place them on the bottom and over weeks time, raise them closer. This is to ensure that your corals don't get shocked by light that they are being introduced to. Other than that all should fine.
Agree. Good advice there.

coachklm

if youd want to get "precise" yes adding more then one or two at a time can upset the water balance DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE TANK
ex. i put 4 new types of softies/ lps in an establish 40 breeder and crashed it within 2 days
I put 12 new types of softies and lps in my 270g in one night and that was 3 weeks ago..so far stabile levels (but i did lose a condy anemone.)
so the answer is DEPENDS ON SIZE

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by coachKLM
if youd want to get "precise" yes adding more then one or two at a time can upset the water balance DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE TANK
ex. i put 4 new types of softies/ lps in an establish 40 breeder and crashed it within 2 days
I put 12 new types of softies and lps in my 270g in one night and that was 3 weeks ago..so far stabile levels (but i did lose a condy anemone.)
so the answer is DEPENDS ON SIZE

I agree with this, it happened to me too back in November when I added multiple corals in one week and I begin to lose some corals, BUT I did a large water change and that took care of it. Did lose some heads on a frogspawn and some Xenia, but everything else came back thriving the day after the water change....IF your going to add some major corals, be ready to do a water change!!!!

ophiura

In general, it is not a problem.
However, if you start going "oh boy!! I have corals!!!" and the LFS sends you home with phytoplex and zooplex and every other type of coral food and you start feeding like nuts (much of which is not necessary)...yeah, you can crash things big time.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by ophiura
In general, it is not a problem.
However, if you start going "oh boy!! I have corals!!!" and the LFS sends you home with phytoplex and zooplex and every other type of coral food and you start feeding like nuts (much of which is not necessary)...yeah, you can crash things big time.
Yeah, I agree. When I fist started to buy corals the LFS told me to get all these coral foods but I didn't have enough money for the coral foods at the time because I spent it all on LR, lights, filtration, and some more supplies. So I just got a baby toad stool for like $10 and 2 zoas for $3. They told me if I don't feed the toadstool and the zoas that they will die within 3 weeks. But anyways I just bought the corals. Then a few months passed and I never put a single drop of coal food and they are happy and healthy. The LFS will tell you anything to make some money if its a bad LFS.