Is there a way to clean sand?

lurch694u

I was just wondering if there is a way to clean the sand. I have a sand sifting star, a fighting conch, hermit crabs, and turbo snails.
They just don't seem like they are doing anything besides wiping out my pod collection. Any ideas?
Thanks
:D

T

thomas712

Your sand sifting star is the one who is eating your pods, they are detrimental to a healthy sand bed.
How many hermits in what size tank? # of snails?
Thomas

timsedwards

hi there,
do you have a DSB? If so leave it and extend clean up crew. By disturbing too much of the dsb you can disturb harmful gases that will cause a spike. Having said that you can probably disturb the top 1/4 inch without too much problem.
Good luck,
Tim.

nm reef

The micro fauna of a stable DSB will keep the sand surface clean...along with help from crabs/snails. I'd also remove the sand sifting star ... it will munch the micro fauna needed for the sand bed to properly function.

beattyr

Originally posted by Kipass4130
tons of pods (amphipods, copepods, and isopods)
sand bed snails... nassarius, cerith, and a fighting conch (strombus alatus)
worms... bristle, cirratulid, and terrebellid worms
JMO
Kip

Kip,
What do the nassarius feed on if they arent feeding on the good parts of the sand bed? Same question for the conch as well.
Rob

leboeuf

this works for me but I don't have a DSB.
1 big horseshoe crab
10 cerths
2 conchs
2 pincushions
I had a terrible diatom bloom for about a month. I placed an order with SWF.com and the problem has resolved itself.

lurch694u

Thanks guys you have been helpful as always!:) I would get rid of the sand sifting star I just don't know how to get rid of him. Maybe the fishstore would take him on trade. If not anybody want to trade for some of those snails?:D :D
I had him for so long its makes me kinda of sad to give up a family member:( I just want him to have a good home.

entice59

Originally posted by Kipass4130
detritus (left over food and poop) for the nassarius
detritus and diatoms for the conch

conches and nassarius eat poop?

attml

If you want to bump up your pod community a refugium is the best bet! That way they can breed without any predators to interfere! Prior to setting up my fuge I had an almost non existant pod community now I have a ton!
As far as cleaning the sand the guy in the picture below (Watchman Diamond Goby) is the perfect reef vacuum!