Is there an easy way to set up scrubber??

yogoshio

Hey all
So, I am really intrigued by the algae scrubber, and have seen amazing success with them, but I'm NOT handy whatsoever. I can do what I need to do with pre-built just fine in this hobby, but not so good with everything else, but really want to try this. I am in the process of setting up a 55 gallon from my 20 (RO unit is running!!) and its about halfway up. Currently for filtration I am using a Rena Filstar XP3 and a Prism skimmer.
So, here's my thought:
If I (or someone else--maybe on here would be willing? I'd pay!) made a scrubber that could sit on top of the tank and fall in similar to the protein skimmer, but be fed with the water exiting my xp3, would that be a conceivable idea?
I'm not against making a sump version, but I am clueless on how to set it up, and not into spending a ton of money either. Any ideas? Or, if anyone is close to Chicago-ish, or can make one and ship it safely, I'd be interested!!

snakeblitz33

It's been tried before, unsuccessfully, to modify a hang on back filter into an algae scrubber.
It's cheaper to build it in a rubbermaid and place it either above the tank, beside it, or build it in the sump.
A DIY Algae scrubber should cost about $50, if built correctly with all new parts.
I'm going to type up an algae scrubber basics, "snake's methods" thread here in a few minutes. Hopefully, it will give you some ideas.

snakeblitz33

I have an idea of how to do a hang on back design, but it would require a lot of acrylic work, and it would become a hang on back sump, which would require you to fill it with fresh water occasionally. I have another design that uses an external overflow and a pump, that drains into the sump. But, it's nothing that hasn't already been thought of.
I might could draw up some designs tonight and put em' in the computer for you to look at. Still though, getting it built at an acrylic shop wouldn't be very cost effective.
I still say the easiest thing to do would be to build it in a rubbermaid or in an open sump.

yogoshio

Ok, so I make it in a rubbermaid, but then is a siphon a strong enough flow? And what type/strength pump would I need to get it back? I tried to make a sump years ago, and after water everywhere, I decided against it.

yogoshio

Actually Snake, I have a HOB refugium. It's not very big, but it's a start I suppose. My friend is using it now on loan but he's giving it back when I get the 55 up and going.

snakeblitz33

Are you planning on using a sump? If you are, I could give you some direction on how to use that HOB fuge as an algae scrubber. Of course, I'll also have to have pics of it and it's dimensions to get the design right.

yogoshio

Ok, so I broke down and bought a sump and overflow. The overflow is Eshopps, and the sump is an aqueon proflex model 1. Dimensions 19 7/8 x 9 7/8 x 17 1/4.

I'm definitely going to run a fuge, unless someone can show me a super easy way to set up a scrubber! lol Heck, I might even do both. For now I'm planning on running carbon in the filter socks.

yogoshio

Return pump is a Rio+ 3100, and the flow rate on the overflow is 850, so I know I'm good on that.
So here's my thought: I still have the filstar which has a very powerful flow, which is also completely adjustable. If I didn't even have any media in there, could I rig it up to pull from the sump and use the return as the flow for the turf scrubber, which would fall back into the sump? Then if the power goes out, the closed loop doesn't flood the sump anyway, right? Or is my lack of handiness ruining my thought process?

snakeblitz33

What closed loop? If you run your return pump to your tank and to your scrubber, it's an open loop - and it wouldn't matter. There are many people who run an algae scrubber on their return pumps plumbing. Are you still going to build one in a plastic tote?

yogoshio

I meant the return line for the canister filter, which would also be pulling from the sump itself. Imagine the intake and return on the edge of a sump, but instead of a return, it'd be an algae scrubber. I've made a really terrible diagram, but it's better than nothing, lol....

snakeblitz33

No. I wouldn't do that. Plus, your canister filter will not run if it is set beside the tank you are filtering. It has to have gravity to feed it.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogoshio http:///t/388852/is-there-an-easy-way-to-set-up-scrubber#post_3432564
Then without getting another overflow, what would you suggest?
Your idea of using a canister could still work. Lots of folks run canisters off of their sumps for extra filtration, be it mechanical or maybe just to run some carbon in. They don't necissarily need to be gravity fed by a siphon, you just need to prime the intake line first.
Another option would just be to run a second pump in the sump for just the scrubber, itself, that is the way I intend to go with mine. Or go with a bigger return pump and split your return line and use part of that water to feed the scrubber. Lots of ways to do it.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388852/is-there-an-easy-way-to-set-up-scrubber#post_3432595
Your idea of using a canister could still work. Lots of folks run canisters off of their sumps for extra filtration, be it mechanical or maybe just to run some carbon in. They don't necissarily need to be gravity fed by a siphon, you just need to prime the intake line first.
Another option would just be to run a second pump in the sump for just the scrubber, itself, that is the way I intend to go with mine. Or go with a bigger return pump and split your return line and use part of that water to feed the scrubber. Lots of ways to do it.
+1. Lots of ways to do it.

yogoshio

Well, my idea won't work now, lol, sump is taller than I thought, and no room for a algae scrubber there. My wife said she might let me make a side table for next to the tank since it's dead space now, and maybe I could do something on top of that....

snakeblitz33

Oh yes, a table beside the tank can definitely work. You might just have to decorate it to keep the mrs's happy. :D
Look at SantaMonicas scrubber that he built for his tank. It's one of those that fit beside the tank , you may be interested in that design.