Is there an ophthamalogist in the house??

T

tizzo

Did I spell that right?? Ah, who cares. So my 10 year old said his eye was hurting and he wouldn't let me look at it long so I took a pic. Here it is, should I worry or is this a normal occurance that everybody gets. I compared it to his other eye but saw nothing in it that looked like this...
Here's the pic...

lovethesea

oh, oh, oh.......I had that. Several years ago. It turned out after the ophtho...(you know) looked at it. It was like a "cluster of grape like cysts". he called it. They were actually going to try to remove it after awhile....but they disappeared on their own after several weeks. Its worth a looksy by a Dr. just for their opinion. They are bothersome, it feels like something in your eye all of the time. especially when you turn your eye towards that direction.

T

tizzo

Several weeks!!:scared:
NOOO!!! Did he prescribe an antibiotic for you?? I have a couple of different eye antibiotics...(I used to work at the hospital, those nurses handed out everything. And me bein' me, well, I kept it all!!)

lovethesea

ahhh, your just like me, I have everything under the sun......friends on the RX biz and me in the OTC biz. :rolleyes:
...lol.... Nope, no antibiotics, just cysts IN the eye. :eek: :eek: . The doc took a pic of it and I remember it looking like grapes. "fluid like" in his terms. VERY bothersome sorry to say, and I was an adult. he is about 7 or 8??

T

tizzo

Originally posted by lovethesea
and I was an adult.

:scared:
(but he's 10)
I will take him to the Dr, if he still hurts tomorow. I sure hate goin there!!

takia

Having been down this road with a little guy..... It is a virus of sorts, and can be controlled with a lot of hand washing and not touching your eyes. I know that it is not comfortable, and in no way is it a "dirty" problem, but boys are boys. I am so sorry for your little guy and hope he feels better soon! You may want to make sure that he wears sunglasses when he is outside for a few days, and that he washes, washes, washes, those little hands (casue I know not touching your eyes is hard)!! Good luck!!

T

tizzo

Thanks Takia, looks like you nailed it!! I took him to the doc. He said only 2 outside influences will affect the eye... a "something" like a splinter or sand or a lash, but he can look and see that it's nothing like that. Other option is a chemical. And since he's not displaying any of the symptoms of a chemical in the eye like tearing or light sensativity, the only other option is that his body itself put it there, (like a pimple).
Since it is internal, and since he is not displaying the "symptoms", it will most likely clear up on it's own.
Obviously if it get's worse I will hafta take him to an ophthamology surgeon, but it is unlikely that it will come to that.
Thanks for all the replies and I will get on him more often about hand washing.:)
And Larrynews, maybe it's the same with you.:thinking:

T

tizzo

Oh yeah, and the Doc didn't even charge me!!
He said he didn't do anything more than reassure me and he wasn't gonna charge for that. Nice huh?

saltymom

.SInce we are on the eyes...my baby girl 5 yrs old has come down with PINK EYE ....ughhh in both eyes..so, shes got PINKEYES!!
I hate this for her. but looks like it was about the same time last year...that she had it, and I still have the prescription in her name, it says discard after 4/17/05. Would it be safe to put in her eyes? Or should I take her back to the dr. in the morning and get new?

lovethesea

I would use it. I even go a week or so after the date sometimes. I remember when I had that once in ONE eye.....miserable!! Poor thing, she had to be miserable:nope:

elfdoctors

The expiration dates for medication are the latest that the

[hr]
can sell them to you. However, they are usually still safe and effective for 6 months after that date. The medication may lose some potency but only a few medications become toxic when outdated.
The other possibility for the chemosis (raised spots on Tizzo's child's eye) is allergies. I have some patients who get similar spots when the pollen count gets very high. There is even a name for that when it happens during the spring - vernal catarrh.