Is there anything I can do?

zoie2

I finally got rid of the 3 aptaisa that were bugging me and now I found 2 tiny, tiny ones. One is right in the center of one of my corals. (my red chili)
Is there anthing I can do to get rid It?

reefkprz

use a steel tip syringe to inject the anemone with boiling water, lemon juice or strong kalkwasser mix.

zoie2

won't that hurt my chili coral? This thing is so tiny, I can't even see the stalk and it's soooo close to my chili. And where do I find such a syrenge?

reefkprz

you can get syringes at the drug store for a couple bucks just be prepared to explain to the pharmacist what your going to use the syringe for. it wont hurt the chili as long as you get it into the anemone and not on the coral.

rykna

ReefkprZ gave me the same recipe for my dwarf seahorse tank
Anialated the little fiends. ReefkprZ also suggested if you want to really make sure you nailed the little pest, take the rock out and place in some tank water. Give you choice of treatment, wait for 45 minutes...check to see if the little guy reappears. Do a second treament just to make sure. Make sure to keep track of the water levels in the container if you use lemon juice or strong kalkwasser'
Also check your levels in you DS, especially Salinity, nitra, nirto, ammonia. Pests like these love salinities over 1.026, and especially tastey waste snacks. Check for dead spots in your tank. I'd do a 20% water change. Pest like aiptasia lay dormant waiting for the perfect water levels to spawn and thrive. I found this out the hard way in my seahorse tanks.
Let Us know how the war is doing. Good luck General

albfishin'

If you don't want to risk it.....I've read that with small ones, that adding a peppermint schrimp to the tank will do the trick. I dont think they'll nuke a large infestation but small ones they'll take care of. Anyone else heard this???

rykna

Originally Posted by AlbFishin'
If you don't want to risk it.....I've read that with small ones, that adding a peppermint schrimp to the tank will do the trick. I dont think they'll nuke a large infestation but small ones they'll take care of. Anyone else heard this???
Mine peppermint shrimp ate everything but aiptasia. Copper band butterflies will eat them, but are a very finicky fish.
What ever you do, do it soon. They will spawn with in a week or so.

fishissues

Originally Posted by AlbFishin'
yea my peppermints hide and never come out and i still got aptasias just use tweezers and yank those little suckers out

reefkprz

here is a picture of the type of syringe I use on the buggers. it helps to bring your camera loaded with pictures to get the syringe if you can explain it in bigger words than the pharmacist can understand then you'll confuse them and not have much of a problem.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by fishissues
yea my peppermints hide and never come out and i still got aptasias just use tweezers and yank those little suckers out
your helping them mulitply by tearing their flesh, every little piece that drifts loose grows into another one.

fishwish

I'm in California and I just went to Long's Drugstore and asked the kind woman at the

[hr]
counter for a syringe and she sold me a package of 10 for $3.29.

zoie2

After reading this I was going to type in that you can't buy them here in MA, but figured I would call my

[hr]
and ask. YOU CAN buy them! I felt funny asking, but for $2.50 you can buy 10! I guess in April 2007 they passed a law that you can buy them (to help stop the spread of AIDS I guess).
I told her what it was for, but she didn't seem to care eaither way. Guess i'll go get some today. Thanks for the info!!! I'll let you know how it goes.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by zoie2
I told her what it was for, but she didn't seem to care eaither way.

I guess she'll think your a junkie no matter what you say LOL around here (in maine) drugs are a rampantly growing problem, not one thats been dealt with for a long time, so its like jumping through hoops to try and get a syringe for killing aip.

T

tizzo

Joes juice will not hurt corals.
Just blow it off w/ a turkey baster after about an hour.

rykna

Originally Posted by zoie2
do you inject joes juice into it, or just treat the water in the tank with it?
Stick the syringe down the little grimlin's throat as far as you can and deliver the Joe's juice. DO NOT treat the entire tank.

T

tizzo

it has been my experience that as soon as you touch the aip he will retract. If you wanna get into his mouth, put a tiny piece if meat on the syringe, when he " grabs" it, his 'mouth' is open so squirt the I'm then.
and rykna right, you don't treat the tank, just that tiny little aiptasia.

rykna

Originally Posted by Tizzo
it has been my experience that as soon as you touch the aip he will retract. If you wanna get into his mouth, put a tiny piece if meat on the syringe, when he " grabs" it, his 'mouth' is open so squirt the I'm then.
and rykna right, you don't treat the tank, just that tiny little aiptasia.
Oooooooooooo!!!! That's a great idea!!!!!
Bait the little suckers