is there anything wrong with this???

we went to a local island yesterday and i decided to save some money..
i brought home about 5 pounds live sand to fill my 6 gallon tank
is there anything wrong with this??? it is nice sand...and i sifted through it to make sure there was no nails or anything in it

earlybird

I wouldn't use it. It's difficult to tell what kind of pollutants may be in the sand. It may be okay for a few days, weeks, months etc. but for $30, I wouldn't risk it.

well i have nothing in the tank for now...gonna let it sit for a while...like i said i made sure there was nothing in it...and i got it off of the island...not out of the water...
i dont have any money as it is...and ur implying it like 30$ is pocket change lol

who dey

Originally Posted by earlybird
I wouldn't use it. It's difficult to tell what kind of pollutants may be in the sand. It may be okay for a few days, weeks, months etc. but for $30, I wouldn't risk it.
agreed

earlybird

Originally Posted by Cherish life.
well i have nothing in the tank for now...gonna let it sit for a while...like i said i made sure there was nothing in it...and i got it off of the island...not out of the water...
i dont have any money as it is...and ur implying it like 30$ is pocket change lol

$30 is pocket change in this hobby. You can buy 50 lbs of agronite sand from hardware stores that are far less likely to contain harmful chemicals that could be in that sand. When the tide rises it is very likely that that sand does become submerged. Even rain will bring pollutants to the sand. Your area has been plagued by karenia brevis or red tide in years past and there are things that you can't see in the sand that could be harmful. I wouldn't risk it.

who dey

Originally Posted by Cherish life.
ok....just to let you know in this hobby....if ur 14 and have no money 30 bux is alot of money
maybe you should consider a less expensive hobby. It takes more than 30 bucks for sand to become successfull in this hobby. Just my .02