Is there something wrong with my hippo tang?

I just noticed this morning that he has a thin white line going through the middle of his black mark on both sides of him. This may have always been there but like I said today is the first time I have ever noticed. I know that they have a tendency to be prone to some kinds of disease and so I worry about the little fella, so if someone could try and tell me what is wrong I would appreciate it.

seatank

when you noticed this did you just turn your lights on if so it is normal. :D if not im sorry i could not help :(

big dave

It may be the begining of HLLE (head and lateral line diease). This is common in tangs that don't eat their veggies. Try feeding him seaweed slects soaked in Kent ZOE which is a vitamin enhancer. Many tangs suffer from this. You were probably not told of this condition when you bought your fish. If you don't enhace their diet. this disease usually develops along their lateral line and head and begins to look like the fish is decaying.

justyn

I agree 100% with big Dave. More veggies! Seaweed selects are excellent but first for a few days I would but in a small piece of broccoli and let the tang eat the flowerets off.

I thought I was giving him enough vegies already, I feed a rotating diet of spirulina flakes, spirulina enhanced brine shrimp, tetra marine flakes, and I always have a veggie clip of red seaweed selects available just for him. Should I be using the green SS instead of the red? He doesn't really seem to be all that interested in them and I figured that is probably why.

goldfish

Yes green seaweed selects is the best for your tang. You can try romaine lettuce too, although some people do not agree that there is any nutritional value to it. Fresh spinach leaves is another good veggie to put on your clip as well. The more greens the better for your colorful fish!

flydan

Hey,
FWIW, a 55gal tank is too small for a Tang of any kind. It will get sick due to stress no matter what you feed it. Just thought I'd let you know that.