Is there something wrong with this leather?

805puffer

Is there anything wrong with this leather, i got him about 2 weeks ago and the first week he was opened up and now he has like a green mucus type thing on him. Do you think i need to put him somewhere else in the tank? Thanks

fiji_blue

all i have to say is wow, i have never seen something like that, it might just be getting rid of something bad in its system?

db

Yes, It's closed up and has algea growing on it. Looks like water quality issues to me.

wilsonreef

Not knowing any of your parimeters I don't think I'd worry about it yet. A lot of times they "shed" and look like they're dying. This usually takes a few days to complete. You will see a clear like covering that it will "shed" after a while.

lion_crazz

Yes, high nitrates and high phosphates promote algae growth. Until you fix the high nitrates, your leather will probably just continue to get worse. Do you have him in an area of high flow? This is important for them.

805puffer

i had him in a place where he didn't get much flow, but i'll place him where he gets high flow. I'll also do some water changes and i don't know my phosphate levels. Thanks

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by 805puffer
i feed 2 times a week with Bio pure and i do a 10 gallon water change once a month.
Yeah, you probably do not do frequent enough water changes. You will need to do rather large water changes to get high nitartes down. Start with 25% water changes.

805puffer

Ok, i'll do that thanks for the help. After high nitrates are down, do i than go to a 15% water change. Should i also do water changes like every 2 weeks.

805puffer

ok, one more question, when you do water changes, do you do it from the sump or the tank. The reason i ask this is becasue i have a lot of sediment in my sump and i wanted to know if that stuff is good or bad. Thanks

lion_crazz

My main tank. I have a pump that pumps new water into my sump at the same time I am taking water out of the main tank.