Is there such thing as to much filtration?

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390790/is-there-such-thing-as-to-much-filtration/40#post_3463506
Really curious now!!!! What systems have no waste?
none in my opinion but then agan......
Okay, I could be wrong but in my experience in the medical field and in biology, everything living and viruses produces waist. The system then has bacteria and so forth to handle the waiste, does the waiste eating bacteria get all of it? No, much like our bodies (this is how I rationalize this) we have phosphates, and other material in our bodies that produces waiste and our bodies filter this waste by obvious ways. Waist in our bodies include the dead blood cells, phagocytes, viruses and bacteria, and is flushed and filtered through our kidneys to the solids known as poop. We still have CO2 in our system left over from not breathing out all of it, we still have toxins in our system that doesn't get processed. Our immune systems much like our aquatic systems keeps thing just in check to matain homeostasis. Throw on portion of this out of whack, the whole system is out of whack.
In my opinion...... there is no such thing as a sterile aquarium, and unless done so in a lab controlled setting, I don't believe anything would survive

kiefers

I believe I should have added that when utilizing antibiotics to help the fish get over infections, this should be done in the hospital/QT.
Unless one overdoses the system, which this may not occure but you will have that one person who thinks more is better, you can do alot of harm to the baceria in your DT.
Is this making any sense? I'm kinda multi tasking right now and feel that I am combining things together. Sounds real good in my head. Lol

spanko

Can you have too much filtration. IMO no. Now the rest of the story.
No really depends on what you are trying to do and how you are doing it. As Keif has stated there is no such thing as a sterile system. Just by the fact that fish poop, there it is again Keif, and we feed our tanks there is always something in the tank that needs to be broken down. This feeds the biological filtration no matter how good your chemical and or mechanical filtration is performing. It cannot get it all out.
Those reefers trying to keep an Ultra Low Nutrient System are doing no not so that they can keep their water near sterile, but to facilitate increased feeding to their coral and fish. You will find that these folks feed heavily most more often that we do. This to enable to have the coral and fish fill themselves with available food and have the time to utilize it. In the mean time they also have chemical, mechanical and bacterial means to drive whatever is left in the water column to that ultra low condition only to start the process again at the next feeding. So do these folks have too much filtration? If that was their only goal I would say yes that they are depriving their tanks of needed food. However because of what they are trying to accomplish no they do not. They do not want the excess nutrient hanging around which would cause other problems both with unwanted algae and elevated nutrient that could in fact harm the coral. Zooxanthellae, the symbiotic algae present in coral, if left to feed on these overly abundant available nutrients will "drive the growth of the zooxanthellae to such an extent that it actually competes with the host for inorganic carbon (used in photosynthesis and skeletal deposition)" (Randy Holmes-Farley)thus actually harming the coral. This is true in calcacerous coral. NPS coral are a different story and can be discussed if so desired.
So the quick answer IMO is no you cannot have too much filtration, but that it depends on what you are ultimately trying to achieve.

spanko

In terms of the question about too much filtration is what I will discuss here. If you look to a tank that has been the Tank Of The Month on a number of sites I will point you all to do a google search for "Uhuru's NPS tank". This tank is primarily azoox (azooxanthellae) or Non Photosynthetic (NPS) coral system. Things like nonphoto gorgs, dendros, cataphyllia, rhizotrochus, tubastrea, etc. This system consists of coral that do not need light for photosynthesis to survive but are "eaters". He has set up a refrigerator to keep the food fresh and concocts a slurry of food of different types to be fed continually by a dosing system located in the refrigerator. To help keep the tank in balance with the heavy feeding, he does two 25% water changes a week, activated carbon and runs an oversized Euro Reef RC80 skimmer plus an Ozotech Poseidon Ozonizer. That all on a 20 gallon Elos Mini tank. Overfiltering, you bet that is the dictionary definition of overfiltering. But look at what he has to balance as far as bio load.
And for your enjoyment...................