Is there to much flow in my seahorse tank?

jfingers088

I have a 34 gallon tank with a pump that pushes out 396 gph. When they go in front of the over flow spouts you get thrown across the tank and its kind of funny but at the same time i feel like they are going to get hurt or they don't like that because i know they like low flow. The flow that i have for my tank right now is that to much for them? Seems like in some areas of my tank the current pushes them and they can't swim on there own.

rykna

Originally Posted by jfingers088
I have a 34 gallon tank with a pump that pushes out 396 gph. When they go in front of the over flow spouts you get thrown across the tank and its kind of funny but at the same time i feel like they are going to get hurt or they don't like that because i know they like low flow. The flow that i have for my tank right now is that to much for them? Seems like in some areas of my tank the current pushes them and they can't swim on there own.
Seahorses love flow. I have a Ehiem Pro2 and a Aquaclear 50 on my 45. So in a hour it gets cycled at least 25 times. To keep the horses and ponies from being blown snout over tail I use artificial plants to bugger the return flows. I glued suction cups to the plant base, stuck it to the glass just above the spray bar.

teresaq

if you want to cut the flow a little, and distribute it better, add a spray bar to the return pipe. you can buy them on line. they are very easy to attach.
TeresaQ