Is this a crazy idea?

ialex2005i

So I use to have a 55gal fish tank, with live rock, some fish, but no coral. The 55gal was a little big for my liking. I think I'm going to go with a 12gal Nano Cube, with 2 maybe 3 fish and a nice forest of coral. I'm going off subject though!

To get more to the point, I live in Hawaii, and I was wondering if it's realistic to walk over to the beach, grab some rocks, grab some sand, and viola tank is set up with 'live rock' and 'live sand'.

If so, then that's awesome. If not, I would like to know why.

gemmy

It is illegal. You could be fined up to $1000 per specimen. Also, many corals are illegal to purchase in Hawaii.

ialex2005i

I looked that up, and found this:

The taking of sand, coral rubble or other marine deposits is permitted in certain circumstances. The material may not exceed one gallon per person per day, and may be taken only for personal, noncommercial purposes. HRS 171-58.5, HRS 205A-44

So with that out of the way, what do you guys think? Is a rock from the beach "live rock" and is the sand "live sand"?

naclfish

yeah pretty much I'd go with a 29 cube or 24 aqua pod a 12 will get crowed pretty quick, Try to get the sand from a below the tide line and rock from a small lagoon type area.

naclfish

keep in mind there is a chance it will be contaminated with farm run off sewage or petrol products. also could have some unwanted pest. most live sand and rock is collected off shore to reduce the chance of contamination.

ialex2005i

Good thoughts on where to get the rock/sand. I didn't really think too much about that exactly. I guess the beach close to me wouldn't be the most ideal place. I'll have to think that one over a little. I definitely hear ya about tank size, but the wife is already apprehensive about me getting one because she was around when I had the 55gal and that was quite a monster to deal with. I think I can get away with getting the 12g nano cube dx. The smaller it is, the cheaper it should be right?
Although I've read a little mistake can cost a lot with a smaller tank. Thanks for the reply naclfish, and thanks Gemmy for looking out.

monsinour

If you are set on collecting the items yourself, then get as far from shore as you can. the contaminates closer to shore will be a problem. Most things I have read have said to resist the urge to just go and collect yourself some stuff.

btldreef

Most of the rock that you're going to find along the shores is going to be Lava Rock, which you DO NOT want in a salt water tank, especially a smaller one like you're looking to set up. Lava Rock contains high concentrations of different metals that will make your tank water toxic over time. Then there is the whole "contaminate" issue that has already been brought up.
As for corals/fish/inverts being collected from the wild and thrown right into your tank, if you plan on doing this, you better have a QT tank and really understand fish and coral disease/parasites.
IMO, if you're looking to save money, that is not the route to go.

hmmm lols i would love to be able to take a boat and just go catch my fish instead of seeing them taken out of small tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you get a huge pick of corals and fish!!!! lucky

J

jstdv8

my mom brought back a real nice piece of rock from hawaii while she was there. it was laying in a shallow pool.
I let it sit at my house for about a month adn added it to my tank. it's the nicest rock i have in the whole tank. I told her when she showed it to me that I think she broke the law, she almost feinted LOL