Is this a fighting conch? [pics]

wax32

I bought this snail today. Was listed as a fighting conch, but I don't see little eye stalks which are supposed to be obvious on conches. What is this dude?

Unidentified Snail

Unidentified Snail
I drip acclimated him and put him on the glass in the tank. He is moving around like a regular snail. Not very fast. :hilarious

jjlittle

I cant tell from pics but it doesn' t appear to look like one from the 2nd pic but not sure like I said hard to tell from pics

wax32

Here are a couple more pictures. I don't think he is a fighting conch. Hopefully he doesn't eat corals.

Unidentified Snail

Unidentified Snail

wax32

My understanding is most whelks have that little snorkle looking thing like bumblebee snails and Nassarius snails have. This one doesn't have that, so I agree with the not-a-whelk ID.

maurice

My fighting conch doesn't climb the glass at all,he stays in the sand and does the best job i have ever seen of cleaning it of excess waste and food.

wax32

Preliminary ID by Dr. Ron: Murex snail... not reef safe, eats other mollusks. I posted a picture of its aperture and awaiting more info.
PS: It does have a little black snorkle after all.

wax32

Habromorula spinosa is Dr. Ron's best guess. Similar to Murex but worse, instead of eating other mollusks, it eats... CORALS.

This photo of its aperture is what helped with the ID:

BAD SNAIL, Habromorula spinosa

Now I gotta find the bugger!

wax32

Well I have never seen a baby fighting conch and it was labled as one at the store. Obviously I had my doubts, hence the thread. Didn't think he would turn out THIS evil though!

ophiura

Wellllll, is there any consolation in the fact that it is a pretty color and an interesting shell?
Did you buy that from an LFS? Man, I would be at their door in minutes...at least to tell them to stop selling it.

wax32

Yeah, it is REALLY pretty!
It's from an LFS, but not the one I usually go to. It was the only one they had! Next time I am in there I will mention that they need to work on their ID's.

wax32

On a positive note, the M. capricornis I have had for months is finally starting to plate onto the rock it is glued to. I think the new lights are helping!