Is this a good deal for this nano tank?

meglovin

Hi everyone, I've been doing research lately on tanks, and I was planning on converting an old 10 gallon freshwater tank into a saltwater. However, the more I look into it (and the more people I speak with who currently have saltwater tanks), the more I realize how expensive it will be.
I was shopping around today and came across a used fish aquarium store that also sells coral, live rock, salt water, and fish. They have a 14 gallon nano/bio cube (not sure which one). The tank comes with the tank itself (all the odds and ends that it usually comes with, I suppose), the stand, a protein skimmer, air pump (don't know what that is), the lights (he said they were 10k?, although I prefer the more 'blue' look I've seen in tanks-- I'm assuming thats from LED lights?), the live sand, the live rock (which is starting to get that purple 'coraline' algae) in the picture, and the water for $195. Seemed like a GREAT deal to me, but I'm new to saltwater, so I wanted to make sure first. The tank is currently set up and running with seahorses and pipefish, so I'm assuming since it can hold fish in it, although the tank is used it must be sufficient. Am I correct in thinking that?
I don't want to spend close to $200 if it isn't going to be worth it. He also said this tank can support coral; is that true?
I wouldn't keep seahorses in it, by the way. I'm thinking of a pair of clowns.

btldreef

Looks like that's the Nano Cube.
Good price for the setup. I'd do it.
It can support corals. You're not going to be able to support SPS with the stock lighting, but later on you could upgrade the lighting to LED, it's fairly easy and many people have done it.
The air pump is for the skimmer. They're not very efficient skimmers.

meglovin

Are most corals considered the SPS coral? LED is expensive though, isn't it?
Would I need to upgrade the skimmer? I was hoping since it was such a small tank, I wouldn't even really need a skimmer; the fact it came with one seemed like a 'bonus' to me. But I don't know much. :p Anything else I would need to get for the tank? Do you think it would be cheaper to just build up my 10 gallon? Some people said I would need a canister filter since the tank is so small, and those are pricey. I just don't know what is going to be the cheapest way to go.

btldreef

LEDs aren't always extremely expensive, especially for that size tank. It doesn't require a ton and if your handy, the DIY for that tank is easy.
SPS are one group of corals. The easiest way to describe this group is "the ones that look like colorful, sometimes fuzzy, sticks." they're usually the harder group to keep.
The skimmer is not necessary. I don't usually run one on that small of a tank. It's just an extra. You could run it and decide for yourself.
I definitely think buying this setup would be cheaper than converting a 10 gallon.

brun67

i converted a 10 gallon earlier this year and i wish i had found out about other things before i built it up since it did end up costing me a serious amount. i use the same filter, and stock lights it came with but i dont have corals. only keeping 2 engineer gobies and a clown in it right now with 1 hermit. since he kills off everything. but yeah, great deal. I'd like to see what you do with it.