Is this a good deal?

petem

So I went to my lfs, and asked him about equipment. He suggested the following with prices:
Regular 75g tank, stand, hood w/lights $389
Regular 55g tank stand, hood, w/lights $229
72g bowed front tank, wooden cabinet, glass canopy, with lights, going on sale for $449.
As far as filtration, he suggested, I do an overflow wet/dry filter with protein skimmer attached. Also comes with the pump. This combo unit for upto a 55g tank, runs $300. A bigger unit from 75-90g, runs $500. Are these real prices, or is he trying to make a big profit. Also taking into consideration that I live in NY.
I asked him if I can use an outside powerfilter, he said, yes, but using the filtration above, (wet/dry) yields the best results.
I trust you people more. so tell me. what do you think. And By the way, I want to set up a fish only tank. Thanks.

T

thomas712

Those prices to me at least don't sound to terrable.
I would like to know about the stands, solid wood? presboard? ply? And what about the lighting? are thest just standard ballast lights for NO lighting? if so this will not do for a reef tank , and glass tops are not needed either, traps heat.
I picked up my 90 tank, stand and hood for around 450.00 all new.
Thomas

herp

what's the difference between a reef tank and a fish only tank. i've heard several meanings, but i would like to know what other people think! all in all, how much for a brand new tank, 75 gallons with accessories and orals, rocks, etc, for a ??reef?? tank and for a ??fish only?? tank??

dburr

I have heard the metal stands aren't to good, but I never had one either. Some people frame them w/ wood to make them look better and strengthen them up. Your bowfront says wooden, is that right?
For a FO the lights are good. If you decide to go w/ corals later you will need to upgrade.
As for the wetdry, if you buy it don't use the balls. They will end up with high nitrates in your system. You could buy a 20 gal tank, overflow and a pump for half the money. Thats up to you. A deep sand bed and live rock is the best filter, but your LFS won't tell you that, they just don't know.
HERP; reef tank= w/corals, FO= no corals. Both can have rock, sand, inverts, ect... The lighting on a reef is the key to keep corals alive. Thats gets exspensive.
I spent 200 on my tank and stand, used. 400 on my MH canopy, used and made it myself. Rock, corals, sand, fish, ect... it's all up to you what you spend. Go shop around.
HTH

tgolbus

I was told to stay away from metal....the salt will corode it in no time.
I am sort new also....I understand the difference between a fish and a reef tank to be the plumbing. If it has overflows or holes drilled in it - it is designed for a reef. Right??

petem

Yes the bowfront has a wooden cabinet stand. I definately dont want to go smaller than a 55g. Because I know me. I would pout that I didnt get the bigger one. So I assume alot of water will get splashed allover the metal stand and that's why it will corrode?
That bowed 72 g. sure looked sweet. I might have to beg the wife....after all she did get to buy her horse. but I'm sure that's for another forum. LOL.
But if I go with the 55 regular tank, and opt for a wooden stand, wont the two look awkward? Geez, decisions.
Also the Lfs said, if I wanted to go with an outside power filter, that I should get the Emperor brand. Does anyone know this brand.
I also forgot to mention that the price for the overflow kit, that includes the piping, the pre-drilled holes in the tank, would be at least another $100 possibly $200.
:mad: :confused:

foxthorn

I just recently bought a 90 gallon AGA RR tank. I found out that just about every LFS around me had a different price. It turns out that their price from All Glass was mostly dependent on how many tanks they sell a year.
For my 90 I did some shopping around. I ended up driving to a LFS about 45 minutes away to get the tank for $215. Other closer LFS' had them for anywhere between $250 to $280! The place I ended up getting it from was larger than the others and had these tanks in stock on the floor.
My advise is to search this board to determine the individual pieces you will want - and then go shop the best deal. Get the tank at an LFS after calling all LFS' in driving distance. Then get the rest at an on-line store. Just my 2cents worth. :)

dburr

Tgolbus, No thats incorrect. I had a reef without a over flow for awhile. A reef is what it says. A small cut away version of a reef.
Rock, corals, fish and all that other life that goes with it.
I agree with foxthorn about shoping around. If you can get the same thing cheaper, why not.
I would go with the biggest tank you can afford. It will be more stable as far as water goes. A 55 is ok but it is limited on aquascaping because it is only 12" wide. IMO, 18" or more makes alot of difference.
Having holes drilled for overflows is a good idea. I wish I had that done on my tank.
HTH

petem

okay, I'll probably opt for the regular 78gal. Since I dont have the space on the main floor in my house, I'll put the whole setup in the basement next to the big screen tv. So I could save money on the fancy wooden bowed tank. Thanks for all of your opinions on the matter.:D