is this a good price

bek

I am looking to buy a larger tank and I'm just not sure it the price is a good deal.
It is a 72 gallon bow front with lots of goodies.
80 lbs live sand
100 lbs live rock (all covered in beautiful purple algea)
3 large filters
a big skimmer that hangs off the back - rather than one that hangs inside the tank.
a large home made retro fit light system with 4 big bulbs
3 power heads
lots of snail (30 - 50)
3 cleaner shrimp
1 yellow tank (big)
1 rabbit fish ( he is really ugly)
1 big wrase (about 10" long)
I don't even like the fish that are in the tank but the price is all inclusive......."$800.00"$800.00

Is it a good deal or not.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bek

Originally posted by KrUnK
what kind of lghting is it? VHO? PC? MH?

VHO - I think....did I mention that it is an "Oceanic" tank - I called the seller last night and offered $600.00..............so we'll see....

gmen

FWIW
I sold my 90 rr aga, two canopies, stand, mag 9.5, plumbing, 48" twin tube strip light with uri bulbs, maxijet 1200. Wet/dry filter, heater. some extras for 400. I think i gave the guy a great deal but 800 seems like a lot. I got my 300g oceanic used for 275 and my recliner.. Point being is there are good deals out there you just have to wait and find them.
plus is you buy the system what are you going to do with the fish till you set up the tank and cycle it?

bek

Originally posted by gmen
FWIW
I sold my 90 rr aga, two canopies, stand, mag 9.5, plumbing, 48" twin tube strip light with uri bulbs, maxijet 1200. Wet/dry filter, heater. some extras for 400. I think i gave the guy a great deal but 800 seems like a lot. I got my 300g oceanic used for 275 and my recliner.. Point being is there are good deals out there you just have to wait and find them.
plus is you buy the system what are you going to do with the fish till you set up the tank and cycle it?

I told the seller that I really wasn't interested in the fish - that maybe he could sell them seperatly.....but he said that because he is moving out of the state, he needs the whole thing to go at one time. I don't know what to do with the fish....I don't even like them....they seem to be very aggressive and I much prefer a peaceful tank.....no fighters.

bek

Originally posted by Bek
I told the seller that I really wasn't interested in the fish - that maybe he could sell them seperatly.....but he said that because he is moving out of the state, he needs the whole thing to go at one time. I don't know what to do with the fish....I don't even like them....they seem to be very aggressive and I much prefer a peaceful tank.....no fighters.

Sooooooooooo, even the offer of $600.00 is a lot.......it sure has a lot of georgous live rock that is just covered with red and purple algea.

T

thomas712

I'd say its a deal, not looking in depth at the whole thing but.
If he indeed has 100 pounds of good looking live rock then 100 pounds times the 5.99 that it cost me in my area for live rock would be like $600 dollars. With the $200 remaining it really doesn't sound like you could buy all that other equipment and the tank for that much. So it is a deal, depending on age, condition of everything else.
Thomas

gmen

5.99 lb for lr at lfs, you can get this stuff for about 180 and less online for 45-50 lbs shipped to your door. I dont know just my.02 seems kind of high
maybe you can sell the fish or bring them to lfs for credit and get what you like

bek

Originally posted by Thomas712
I'd say its a deal, not looking in depth at the whole thing but.
If he indeed has 100 pounds of good looking live rock then 100 pounds times the 5.99 that it cost me in my area for live rock would be like $600 dollars. With the $200 remaining it really doesn't sound like you could buy all that other equipment and the tank for that much. So it is a deal, depending on age, condition of everything else.
Thomas

Thanks for the input!!!!

bek

Originally posted by gmen
5.99 lb for lr at lfs, you can get this stuff for about 180 and less online for 45-50 lbs shipped to your door. I dont know just my.02 seems kind of high
maybe you can sell the fish or bring them to lfs for credit and get what you like

I do have a 20 gallon holding tank to put the fish in....it sure will be full.
Thanks for you advise.

gmen

Originally posted by Bek
I do have a 20 gallon holding tank to put the fish in....it sure will be full.
Thanks for you advise.

sounds good, but fwiw 20g would be really small to hold these fish.
anyway I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will get it for a price you are happy with

chevman3171

Live rock at my LFS is 9.99 per pound. It's really nice stuff tho, and they keep it in a tank, and you get to pick which pieces you want. Kinda spendy, but they have some really cool pieces now. Used to be cheaper, but now they get better stuff in.

gmen

Yeah my lfs charges top dollar too, why are you guys still buying LR from them. Hit the web even swf.com has if for 200 for 45 lbs. Search around, you can find it cheap/chearper then lfs.

sammystingray

Brand names of the equipment, and sizes and makes, would tell a lot more....if the tank is running well.....doesn't sound too bad to me....does it have a store bought stand? That would be 600 dollars around here just for that. The tank itself would be a little over 300 dollars, seeing the rock before you buy, like at my LFS, would be about 700 to 800 dollars. If the tank is really old.....you might not want the sand as is......perhaps stirred and filtered in a seperate tank to remove years of collection....it's a GREAT deal if a stand and canopy are included.

sammystingray

By the way...I have about five thousand dollars invested in my 90 gallon.....do you think I would sell it for 500 bucks??:D

bek

Originally posted by sammystingray
Brand names of the equipment, and sizes and makes, would tell a lot more....if the tank is running well.....doesn't sound too bad to me....does it have a store bought stand? That would be 600 dollars around here just for that. The tank itself would be a little over 300 dollars, seeing the rock before you buy, like at my LFS, would be about 700 to 800 dollars. If the tank is really old.....you might not want the sand as is......perhaps stirred and filtered in a seperate tank to remove years of collection....it's a GREAT deal if a stand and canopy are included.

Yeah!!!!The tank and stand are done in a grey granet finish with a black glass door on the stand. Everything is clean and well maintained. The tank is up and running, so it will be fun to break it down and transport....

bek

Originally posted by sammystingray
By the way...I have about five thousand dollars invested in my 90 gallon.....do you think I would sell it for 500 bucks??:D

The owner on this one says he has between $1,600 and $2,000 in this one.
I know that the tank I have now is only a 30 gallon and I'll bet I've put $1,000 in it......amazing what we'll do for love - isn't it?:)

gmen

well what you have put into a tank you will never get back. I think anyone in this hobby knows that. I just did some quick math and put some prices in my head of what I would charge for this setup and yeah sure 800 is too bad. Of course I would offer him less
if the system is in good condition and you are happy i say go for it