Is this a stupid question?

liongirl

How do you know if your test kit is accurate? I asked a question a couple weeks ago about which saltwater test kit would be good to buy and i got a few responses ...
"I use the fastest and it works great but if you get it order it online it is like half the price of what you'd pay at your lfs."
"...red sea for years and it works great"
"american pharm., easy to use, but not accurate ... replaced with salifert and they are accurate"
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE ACCURATE OR NOT?
Does anyone else like any of the above test kits or any other test kits ... I really would like to know that i bought the right one.
:) THANKS!!!

moy

I use the ones you buy separately from your local pet store. You know, the one for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite,...etc.. The ones almost everyone has; each box has a different color, totally forgot the name but i use those. Dont think i was much help at all.... :rolleyes: See ya :D

LionGirl-I use and have been for a while is the Red Sea test kit. I guy the big one. It's got tests for Amonnia, Nitrites and trates, Ph and Alk. Always works for me. and if you're not sure of your own, a good lfs will always help you out and test your water too. It's best to take your own tests at the startup and then take some water a day or two later to the lfs (local fish store) and have them test it. That's my .02 cents.
peace
doug

Never been a fan of red sea's kits. Use saltwater master test kit....quick, eazsy to read (except the ph as the color range is hard to differ between 8.0 and 8.8) and has never failed me. For the money I give it two thumbs up. Now if your into spending doe I would go with Lamotte or salifert (spelling?)

bobber

I agree with Marauder on this. Lamotte is the best but costs big $$$. If you are not sure on the readings, take them to your lfs and hve them test for the same parameter. Or have them give you a full diagnostics. They should be able to help you out. HTH--Bob

nm reef

With the salt water master test kit....american pharmicitucials....they are easy to use.......and is what I used when I first started in sw.......but.......they consistantly showed a .25 ammonia level......out of concern I had LFS test and they showed 0
so I began to question the accuracy of this brand
listening to members of this board and following the advice of others I decided to go with salifert test kit for ammonia...phsophate...and alkalinity
for calcium I use seachem......and for ph..nitrite..nitrate I still use the salt water master kit.....
but I have checked the accuracy of all with test results from my LFS
I guess for me it was best to 1)listen to advice from others 2) vrify results against rsults from lfs 3) trial and error until I found what works best for me and my system
Hope this helps

t_larz

I use the Fastest and they seem to work fine for me. If you doubt your own tests then just have the pet store that you trust test your own water for you with a sample you bring in. That's my two cents!
~Lars

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You'll never get a single answer to this querry. If you want to test accuracy, then perhaps try experimenting with different brands. The hardest thing about test kids is that it is often difficult to differenciate the transitional color readings. I'd shoot the test kit that can give the widest variety in transitional colors and one that covers more closer increments.

guppie

I used to use the fast test but was unsure of how accurate it was, so I got the red sea kit and was useing them both and was getting the same readings. So my guess would be that they both work. Hope this helps Good luck