Is this acceptable?

zincoxide

I bought a tank from someone about 3 wks ago and it was infested with algae. I was told to put the LR into a rubbermaid container and cover to make it so no light got in. It has now been like that for 3 wks - will that hurt the organisms on the LR??
I have 2 powerheads and a heater in the container.
I hate these color tests - I find it hard to decide which one is closest.
Temp 80
PH 8.0 - 8.1
Ammonia 0 - 0.25
Nitrites 0 - 0.05
Nitrates about 20 - The kit says to look at the number in the right column which is the "low range" but the number in the left column (in the high range) is 100.
The kit used was a RED SEA kit.
Are these parms ok?? Should I do a water change now or should I keep the LR going as is??

fedukeford

they are ok because your tank is still cycling, once you add live stuff you'll want the PH at 8.2-8.4, and the amm. trate and trite as close to 0 as possible

acrylic51

Are you talking about you tested the water in your rubbermaid container??? The LR is perfectly fine in the rubbermaid container......How is the algae look on the rock?

zincoxide

The ugly algae is almost gone but the coraline algae is disappearing too - it is purple and specks all over the place now instead of totally covered in purple.
But yes the LR is in the rubbermaid, but I didn't know if having the lights out for 3 weeks is bad for the organisms on the rock.
Is 20 high for trates??
Should I do a water change now or leave it a little longer

acrylic51

The LR is perfectly fine....I had said in an earlier post that you would see the coraline die off a bit, but not to worry it will be back with a vengance once you get set up.......I would do a water change and before your water change possibly scrub some of the rock with the algae and do a good water change and check levels again.......

michaeltx

they are both types of algae needing light so both will die-off but as what is said it will come back after it gets some light. you might try to use a different container and pull the rocks out and a brush and clean off some of the bad algae off.
Mike

zincoxide

I did scrub it before I put it in the container and the scrub brush wouldn't really take anything off. Do you think that t will be easier to scrub off now that it is dead/dying?