Is this an Aiptasia? (pic)

jigga w00t

I have two this size, and there is a small one on the left side of the rock in the first pic, should they be removed?? They are reproducing, and have grown since they first appeared on the LR.

I've been researching how to remove them, Joe's Juice is popular, but if I can pull the rock out and squirt some boiling water with a turkey baster... I'll do it right now!!

socal57che

Originally Posted by jigga w00t
thanks for a quick reply! they will soon be destroyed....

You say that now.

They have other plans.
Best of luck.
Nice zoos, btw. Is that mesophyllum algae near them. I would love to have some mesophyllum like that.

newbfish

would boiling water work? cause i have a lot of them and want to get rid of them all!!! they hide everywhere

socal57che

Originally Posted by NewbFish
would boiling water work? cause i have a lot of them and want to get rid of them all!!! they hide everywhere
I've never killed a single one with boiling water. By the time I get the syringe to the tank and near the aip. it's cooled off. I've had a pretty good kill rate with lemon juice. Use a drop or two at a time and inject it near the base with a syringe. If it returns, nail it again quickly. Last batch was a lemon juice and limewater cocktail. Don't overdo it or you will affect PH.

yosemite sam

Originally Posted by nofishnplease
what is wrong with them? are the bad for the tank?
Yes, they multiply rapidly, and pack a powerful sting that can kill corals.

jacrmill

they will multiply and be everywhere. Plus I was told they can sting your fish, but mine never really seemed bothered by them. I had peppermint shrimp also, but they never did get rid of it. to empty my tank it took a bottle of joe's juice and some determination. If you just get a bottle of that and kill every single one you see for a week youll probably never see another one. Thats how it worked for me, but at the time i didnt have any corals. Not sure how it would do with those, but it can be injected with a really precise shot, so i would think you could use it fine. just practice a little before you go injecting right next to your nice little corals. and know that it doesnt take very much, that joe's juice worked wonders for my tank. Also, I would say the sooner you do it the better because once they start reproducing it happens pretty quick.

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by socal57che
I've never killed a single one with boiling water. By the time I get the syringe to the tank and near the aip. it's cooled off. I've had a pretty good kill rate with lemon juice. Use a drop or two at a time and inject it near the base with a syringe. If it returns, nail it again quickly. Last batch was a lemon juice and limewater cocktail. Don't overdo it or you will affect PH.
OH I HAVE!!! I took out a piece of live rock that had so many it was not even funny!! Stuck the rock in my sink and poured boiling water right over the rock a few times they melted and fell right off
Looked like tons of snott in my sink! I use Joes Juice from now on when I see one crop up.

newbfish

lol this is so funny
when I first got my tank set up and seen one growing I got happy cause something was growing so I let them grow all over not knowing they are bad. I never had any coral but now I do and its dying slowly so I looked up why it was. My water and lighting is good so it must be these things..

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by NewbFish
lol this is so funny
when I first got my tank set up and seen one growing I got happy cause something was growing so I let them grow all over not knowing they are bad. I never had any coral but now I do and its dying slowly so I looked up why it was. My water and lighting is good so it must be these things..
They are weeds for sure, some say dandyloins like you get in you grass, but I say more like poison Ivy they make me ichy just looking at them. Oh by the way they will sting you too!

socal57che

Originally Posted by bonita69
OH I HAVE!!! I took out a piece of live rock that had so many it was not even funny!! Stuck the rock in my sink and poured boiling water right over the rock a few times they melted and fell right off
Looked like tons of snott in my sink! I use Joes Juice from now on when I see one crop up.
I don't think my corals would appreciate this method, but I'll let them know about it.

goldfinger

Once they multiply in and amongst the live rock you wont be able to find them to kill them with Joe's Juice or anything else. Then they get into your overflow chambers, your sump/refugium and pretty soon the only way to get rid of them is remove everything live in the tank/s.
Fil the ltanks with diluted bleach/water which will kill everyting on the rocks and run all of your pumps with the bleach water. If the they are on your coral's your in a heap of trouble. I went thru a major infestation they just about wiped me out.

newbfish

okay so I've read that peppermints would only eat the ones they can and stay away from the huge ones. So I went to the lfs today and told them my problem, they didn't have Joe's Juice and so I bought some Aiptasia Control from Blue Life. I injected the huge ones thinking the peppermints wouldn't touch them. They got injected and tried to scrunch up but couldn't and tried to move. I seen that it was trying to move so I found something to pick it off and it worked. Am I doing everything right? Advice?

reefmate75

your right the peppermints will not eat a large aiptasia...they will however eat the tentacles off of it haha i had a few small ones and bought 2 pepermints and withen a week they had entin all that i had, the largest 1 i had was probly 1/4" though but never seen another after that