is this as big as it sounds

falcon63

so i have a inground pool (conctete).with a concrete pool you must put in calcium chloride.so out to the pool house i go. the ingredients reads calcium,strontium,water.can this be. now iv got to call hth pools. i get them on the phone ask him can i use this product in my tank . he said this is used just for that purpose all the time.so you are saying to me i can go to walmart by a 5lb calcium + for $5.00 and us this product in my tank. this is what he said this is done all the time we get phone calls all the time on this.well im going to try it.

M

mr hanky

please let everyone know about your trail w/ this calcium!!!! this is much cheaper than the c balance/others that are available!!! mr hanky.
let me know if you get a min/ as i am not always available to check on swf.com clayshutr@hotmail.
com

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!
THE KEY WORD IS CLORIDE IN CALCIUM CLORIDE. tHIS WILL FILL YOUR TANK WITH FREE CORINE. THIS IS THE SAME PRODUCT I USE FOR SHOCK IT IN MY POOL. CLORIDE = CLORINE !!!!!

broomer5

Saltwater is mostly composed of NaCl or sodium ions and chloride ions.
Most of our saltmixes are around 99.9% sodium chloride ( salt )
Once you mix the salt in water - it dissolves into these 2 ions.
Many calcium additives such as Kent Liquid Calcium and Turbo Calcium are actually a mixture of Calcium Chloride and water - and is intended to be added to saltwater that contains carbonates.
Calcium is normally added to a concrete pool to insure that the pool water has an adequate amount of calcium in it. If not .. the water will have a tendancy to strip calcium from the concrete walls, and cause damage to the walls and bottom of the pool. It's used to manage the hardness of the pool water as well.
I would be hesitent to add calcium chloride for pools to a marine tank, for increasing or maintaining calcium levels.
Unless you know 100% what the make up of this stuff is ...
Seems a little risky to me without knowing more about it.

shnookums

i called HTH that makes the calcium plus. and asked them if it has clorine in it. It does not. the reason you add calcium in a concrete or plaster pool is so that the water does not pull the calcium from the walls of the pool (ie Rock).
which would lead to cracks in your pool. chloride is the binder (anion)

falcon63

no, i bought HTH calcium plus the active ingedient is calcium chloride. people think chloride is a form or chlorine .this is not true. most of the buffers (kents, seachem, etc.)have chloride in them if you are using the powder form. it says it on the label. for example i have a bottle of seachem reef builder in front of me. it says it contains: carbonate, bicarbonate, chloride,and sulfate salts of sodium, magnesium, calcium, strontium, and potassium. on the HTH calcium plus it contains: calcium chloride, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, water, strontium chloride.
Anyways, don't we buy stontium, and calcium in our buffers? the sodium is salt, the potassium is essential for skeleton (bones) aren't our corals made of calcium like our bodies? I just wanted to let everyone know that it was just cheaper, and the people at HTH said is a common question they get and the say its safe to use.

I just did not want anyone to get the wrong idea. Calcium Hypocloride is the active ingredient in Shock It, that we use to clorinate our pools. Your calcium plus just has no free clorine, just as salt has no clorine, per say (free clorine). My Kalkwasser is made of calcium HYDROcloride. I just want everyone to know to check the label of the ingredients that they add to thier tanks.
Understand that pool chemicals are made for pools, and if it will work in an aquarium, that is fine. Just read. It is very confusing when you have words that start with Hydro, Hypo, Mono, etc.
Be sure of what it is.
We don't need a lot of people putting shock it into their aquariums, even though it has calcium.
Remember, Kalkwasser is the german word for lime water. You can buy lime from any plant store, but you will be getting alot of "inert" material along with it. This material may be "inert" for your plants, but it will screw up your tank of fish, etc.

falcon63

Kalkwasser is the most difficult product on the market. hth shock it is chlorine (DO NOT USE).but if hth makes a product that is adaptable for aquarium use i say why not.if this product CALCIUM PLUS has the ingredients we all use then why not use it? so in short im just a squirrel trying to get a nut. (save a buck)

On the active ingredients, does it say 100% calcium cloride? No inert ingredients?
Why do you say Kalkwasser is difficult. Mix 2 tsp. per gallon, drip it in. Sounds simple, and have been doing it for 5 years.
Shock it is not chlorine, it is calcium hypochloride, it just happens to have 65% free cholorine when it dissolves.

falcon63

steamboat,
as i stated earlier, the bottle says it contains:
calcium chloride, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, water, strontium chloride.
below is an email from HTH:
Question:
what are the definitions of the ingredients, are there any clorines in
this? for instance potassium chloride? is that just potassium ? thanks
Response:
Mr. Tighe,
There is no chlorine in HTH Calcium Plus. It consists of mainly calcium
chloride, which is calcium. There is a small percentage of other
ingredients, which are sodium chloride (sodium), potassium chloride
(potassium), and water.
Thanks,
HTH Water Products

shnookums

steamboat,
I think you are confused. Falcon never said he is using shock it for his fish tank. he purchased a pool product called calcium plus. it ups the calcium in your water (much needed in concrete pools). Shock it DOES contain 47% hypoclorite. but that isn't even what he's talking about. he's talking about CALCIUM PLUS.

No, I am not confused if you read what I said above. I am just stating that someone may pick up a bag of shock it, read that it has calcium hypochloride, and say to themselves: " Wow, this contains calcium, I think I will add it to my tank".
I still don't know why kalkwasser is difficult.

shnookums

steamboat,
i understand what your saying, Calcium HYPOCLORITE. I am saying CALCIUM CHLORIDE. But the "Shock it" never came from me, I have always stated i purchased "HTH CALCIUM PLUS" IT COMES IN A 4.5 LBS BOTTLE, NO BAGS $6.97 AT LOWES. Personally, i use "sock it" in my swimming pool.

I tend to get pretty serious about what I put in my tank. Just to let you know how serious I am, I sent my tap water off to Oklahoma state university, Agriculture dept., and paid for a spectrograph (very expensive) of what exactly is in my water. After the results, I turned the whole house upside down, and put in a RO/DI unit in every outlet of water. I tested the solubility of kalkwasser, strontium, and other trace elements in the products that I put into my tank.
All I get from this post is that it has calcium, strontium, etc. But how soluble is it? I would need more information before puting anything in my my tank (a $4000.oo investment), any product that is used for pools.
Just like humans taking calcium

[hr]
, if you buy the

[hr]
that are made of crushed oysters, it does not disolve in humans, but calcium hdroxide does.

falcon63

puffed rice is puffed rice, i don't care if kelloggs makes it or if walmart makes it. calcium chloride is calcium chloride, who ever makes it. for example. harley davidson sells motor oil with their logo on it for $4.00 a qt. well, guess what its havoline $1.50 qt. thats what i've been trying to let people know. Calcium plus has ingredients that are beneficial to our tanks.

Sure, water is water no matter who makes it. NOT!!! Oil is oil no matter who makes it. NOT.
Wal-Mart sells a different water than I get out of my RO/DI unit, tests completely different.
Penzoil uses a different process than Havoline.
Please don't be so niave as to think that one product is the same as the other.
Besides, My local water company puts out some prett bad water, and it is not the same as what comes out my RO/DI.