Is this coral beyond hope? Hitchhiker ID

natclanwy

This is a pic of my candy cane coral that I thought was dead after my sump disaster but on closer inspection I noticed it looks like their is still some flesh left. Will this coral possibly recover? Also I just noticed this little anenome above the candy cane it popped up the other day and I was wondering what it is. I am 95% sure it's not aiptasia you can see those at the top left and far right.

row

Those could be majano anenomes, also a pest like apstasia. Candy cane coral is pretty resialiant. I had my frog spawn fall on top of mine and sting it almost to death. I moved the candy cane to saftey and after about a month it was back to normal and has even grown two more polyps.

natclanwy

Doesn't look like any of the pics of majono that I have seen, just to clarify I am talking about the anemone in the center of the pic between the two patches of coraline. The other two anenomes in pics are aptasia they look a little odd because they survived a dose of joes juice seems like the few that manage to survive are deformed for a while afterwords.

B

bonita69

just so everyone can see what we are looking at. The center one does look different

natclanwy

Coloration in the pictures on that website looks similar but the body shape is way different than the any of the pics they show. The tenticles are very short and thin in comparison with the body. I google image searched also and couldn't any images that matched closely.

row

I had a little outbreak of those in my tank (the one in the center). I was told they were aipstasia and got rid of them with joes juice. They were actually stinging my zoos and were spreading very fast like weeds. I also had one on my candy cane frag and it was stining it and causing coral to shrivel.

natclanwy

This is the only one like this that I have just wanted a positve ID before my next scheduled Joes Juice application
I have to stay on top of it or they will start to get ahead of me again and I am getting closer and closer to eradicating them from my tank.
Finally saw one of my peppermints eating some aiptasia
so that will help keep them in check between doses and hopefully ultimately without the Joes Juice.

C

cmaxwell39

Since there is still some tissue I would give it some time. It very well may recover. I am always amazed at how far gone corals can seem to be and still recover. Good luck.