Is this crab reef safe?

thefishdoctor7

I can't be 100% sure but due do the difference in the size of its front claws I would hazard a guess that it's a Fiddler Crab, most fiddler crab's are beneficial scavangers but can occasionaly attack sleeping fishes. As long as you keep him well fed he should be a great addition to your tank.

texasmetal

IF it's a fiddler, it will need access to air. They're terrestrial, live on the beach. I don't think that's actually a fiddler though. Always best to lean toward caution. The pointy claws mean business.

saltn00b

usually dimorphic claws have evolved in such a way that the small one is for feeding and the large one is for defense. i would play it safe and put him in the fuge. cool find though.

donald

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/2769609
IF it's a fiddler, it will need access to air. They're terrestrial, live on the beach. I don't think that's actually a fiddler though. Always best to lean toward caution. The pointy claws mean business.
also claw tips that are a different color from the arm is usualy not a good sign for a reef.

mr_x

Originally Posted by donald
http:///forum/post/2771525
also claw tips that are a different color from the arm is usualy not a good sign for a reef.
but all of my acro crabs have different colored tips. i don't think that's 100% accurate.

V

vince-1961

The only similarities between that crab and the millions that I see everyday in the marsh, whch we call fiddler crabs, are 1) it's a crab, and 2) the one large claw vs. one small claw, yet even in our fiddlers, only the male has the large claw. Female fiddlers have 2 small claws.
BTW, fiddlers make great bait for sheepshead fishing.

beansandmia

I cant recall what they were in but I believe it was a bigger piece of LR with zoas on it a branching rock.
I don't know if I can get another pic one is still in my tank and the other is in my sump, I am going to be taking that tank down this Sat and moving everything over into a new 125. I will see if I see either one of these little guys.