Parameters
PH=8.2
Nitrates=2.5 low range
Nitrites=0
Amonia=0
Calcium=390
Alk=4.23 or dkt=11.8
SG.=1.026
Lighting= 2 34"SunPack 96w with 6700k,10000k,420,460 running 7 hour a day.
Filter= using 20g sump+fuge+skimmer.
Temp=79deg. F
Need to know if this is cyano bacteria.It happend after i went on vacation,i think the person that was taking care of my tank was overfeading it because nitrates were too high.I took care of the problem and everything went back to normal exept for my leather coral.It never opened again and this is how it looks now.I am concern about the redbrownish patch on the side of the leather coral.I also posted pictures of my full setup tank.
It has been running for two years now.
ps:I made this tank posible thanks to all the info that i found in this forum,i'm still learnig a lot so any suggestions will be more than welcome! :joy:

clintjj

don't see what your talking about. Most of the time the cyno will be on your overflow boxes to if it's in your tank.

E

emeralcrab

I think he is asking about the brown on the leather coral......looks like algae to me .
But I am no expert in fact I killed the only leather I ever tried
. And everyone told me they are almost bullet proof. Ha, at least I have luck with the LPS I have.

billy2k1

I'm talking about the stuff on the side of the leather coral.That stuff wasn't there and since it showed up my leather never opened again.

payton 350

no expert but looks like it could be...i would try to gently wipe it off or blow it off if possible ...there may be a lack of flow in that little spot where it lies
p.s. i got some extra xenia and was wondering if you need some for your tank....j/k looks great..like a xxenia jungle

who dey

it's not cyano. It's part of the skin color on old leathers apparently. Mine has had the dark red color for years and this is the biggest leather ive seen. I think its just old age!! :thinking: this was taken this morning with the lights off. He's twice that size when lights are on

imerk

This is actualy no big deal. Get a turkey baster filled with your tanks water and blast it off the leather. Leather corals are a sarcophyton and sometimes close up for a week or so. After you clean off the side, gently blow water across the top, too. You may not see anything, but there might be something iratating it causing it not to open. Don't worry too much. Leathers are really hardy and yours looks healthy. If the spray from the baster doest work, use your fingers to gently rub it off. If it does't come off easily, leave it alone. BTW, cyano bacteria usually starts on your substrate, where the highest concentration of nitrates are. It is unusual to see it on the side of a coral and not anywhere else.
Good Luck!

billy2k1

Thanks everybody for taking the time to give some advise.I feel better now.
And yes,i also notice that i have a xenia jungle but i don't know what to do with them.I started with just a few and now they are taking over my tank.
I think i am going to start my own business soon :hilarious .

michaeltx

sell it to the LFS or give it to local reefers thats the best thing to do with excess xenia..
as far as the leather alot of times they will close up for awhile and shed a mucous film this might be what yours is doing during this time it wont open or open very little.
Mike