Is this diagram of my setup correct?

sm_in_la

I made this diagram of what I think I need to get my tank going. I plan on purchasing a 75 gal Oceanic that is drilled with the corner overflow. I haven't purchased anything yet because I want to make sure everything is correct. Here's what I'm looking at:
Powerheads - (2) Maxi-Jet 1200's
Heater - Visitherm 200 watt
Skimmer - Nautilus TE w/ Rio 2100 pump
Lighting - ???
return pump - ???
Am I forgetting anything, or does that just about cover it for a FOWLR setup? Thanks again guys.

E

elan

i would say yours looks ok.. there isnt one "correct" way of doing it... there are hunderds of "correct" ways.

cboyfan2020

look good to me but I would reconsider the Rio pumps. Go withMag Drives or something like that because Rio's are prone to breaking. As Far as lighting....if you are going to stay with FOWLR then a 2x96w PC setup is more then adequate and will give you good growth on your live rock. The reef bug bites hard though so if you plan on keeping corals and such later on I would research the lights now and see what would be the easiest/cheapest way to upgrade later on. FWIW I run that same skimmer with a Mag 7. Marinerock, a member here, has tons of info on that skimmerif you want it. Good luck

sm_in_la

thanks guys. And I've decided to go with the Mag Drive 7 pump instead of the Rio after your advice and a few searches.
Another question...I don't plan on buying all of my LR at one time...I'd like to buy half now and add more (up to about 80 lbs) slowly. I know that adding new LR can cause spikes, but if only add 1 or 2 pieces every week or two, I should be ok, right? I have a LFS that sells Fiji, so it shouldn't have any die off from the ride home (only a few minutes).
Thanks again.

chris200058

If you have the money I would highly reccomend buying the LR from online most of the companies will give you free shipping and the cost is around $5.00 cheaper per pound. Most LFS offer their rock at around $10.00 per lb when you can get 50 lbs from saltwaterfish.com for only $200.00 thats only $4.00 per lb
The only thing I can suggest with rock from online is make sure that you find out whether it is fully cured or not I didn't check and had a very bad spike in my tank I lost 3 fish doing so.
I have 100 lbs now 50 was from here which was great but I ordered some from another site later and found out the hard way.

cboyfan2020

when you order rock online and you buy cured you will still have to cure it. There will be die off from the shipping as there will be die off on the ride home just not very much. Every time you take the rock out of the water for a period of time regardless if it is wrapped in wet newspaper or such it will have die off. if you buy uncured then you can cure it in your tank if it is empty. Many people do this to cycle but if you have inhabitants in the tank.....buy a rubbermaid trashcan and fill it with saltwater matching the salinity in the tank. Put a heater and powerhead in with it and test the levels until ammonia and nitrite read zero. Then it is ok to put in the tank.

overanalyzer

I would put a durso stand pipe in your overflow box. go to the equipment/DIY section and check in to how to build your own ... very simple and will increase the water level in your overflow and decrease the falling water sound

sm_in_la

About the LR: My LFS has some good Fiji rock (cured) for $6/lb. It's very good looking rock and I won't have a problem with any die off. One of the best LFS's I've seen around here (and there are plenty of them!) The people there are extremely helpful too.
And yes, I will put a Durso stand pipe in. I was reading about them this afternoon. Looks like a neat little gadget.
By the way, does anyone have any detailed stand/canopy plans? Or a website with some good examples? I want to make sure I have a good foundation of 2x4's for my 90 gal tank. My email address is smontegut@cox.net if anyone can help me out. Thanks.

overanalyzer

hey ask over in the equipment and diy on the plans ... people have 'em!!
I would encourage you to buy mostly aquacultured live rock and then maybe hand pick a few of your other pieces .....

bdhough

If you order online plan for uncured rock. In store rock can be alot better but even still you may end up with some spikes. I always had Nitrate spikes. If your going to do the slow route smell your rock before you buy it. If it reeks don't get it. maybe 5 lbs every 2 weeks should work. On your sump you may want to introduce some bio balls inbetween your skimmer and drain or a filter pad to take out large "dirt" from your water.