Is this enough fish....

tjkohler

You want to put in a completely raw shrimp from the grocery store, not a cocktail shrimp. If your rock is completely cured than I would put the shrimp in as soon as you have your tank up. If the rock is uncured than you might not even need to use the shrimp. I would watch your Ammonia and if it gets to high do a water change (and take the shrimp out if you have it in). This will prolong your cycle, but you'll have more critters and stuff survive through the cycle that way.

I did mean uncooked shrimp. well most of the rock is cured lr. i do have 50 lbs of lace rock. but my sand is not live it is reg argonite. So will the shrimp help keep everything alive??? I want to try to keep as much alive as possible. I am going to be patient with my tank so that it is weel established before i add corals or fish was thinking of first adding a clean up crew or should i add fish first? thanks tj for taking the time to answer my ?'s How long have you been doing saltwater tanks just curious?

tjkohler

The shrimp will help the tank to cycle faster. If time isn't an issue at all, then skip the shrimp all together. Watch your water params, everyday, and the ammonia gets up to 1.5+ ppm than I would do a water change. Bang Guy recommended this to me and I did it and worked out great. The idea behind that is that you keep the ammonia down so that you don't kill everything, but you keep it present so that the tank can cycle and build up bacteria.
Your 'dead' sand will become live from the LR so don't worry about that. Some people say to buy fauna kits but I've noticed that I've gotten most of the same critters from my LR, it just takes a little longer. But if you have the money (about $50 + shipping) than you can get a detrivore (spelling) kit from online to give you some critters.
I used to have a fish only with a volitan, but since last November I've been studying reef setups. I put my 'knowledge' to the test this summer with my nano. This board was a huge 'library' with tons of information. Nano's are harder than bigger systems and I wanted to really test myself before I spent the big bucks on lights and all those corals.
Take it slow and you'll love watching it all grow.

Thanks again TJ. I will skip the shrimp and keep the amonia down below 1.5. I really do want to take it slow and do it right the first time. Sounds great yeah I have been reading that nanos are really hard to take care of, i had the money so I went to do it right the first time and bought what i needed. I will be doing some additions later on my goal is in 5 years to have a house and start building my tank in the basement 1000 gals+ already started a fund for it til then lots of resarch and development. THis is my starter into the saltwater reef world. How long with well cured lr do you think it will take for my tank to cycle with water changes i was thinking 8-12 weeks. i was thinking about the end of January adding coral but about end of october middle of december adding a cleanup crew. what do you think? Thanks for the help.

tjkohler

If the rock you get is truly already cured. Then the cycle will only be 2-4 weeks. Mine cycled in about 10 days and the ammonia never got passed 1 ppm. The first things you want to get in there are your cleanup crew (after cycle). Let them take care of any debris from the rocks etc. But make sure you have your lights on for a few days before you put your snails in there or you'll have to target feed them dried seaweed until there is enough algea. Once your tank is cycled you can start putting things it ... slowly.
I'd go with 1/2 of your cleanup crew right after the cycle.
My favorite begginer coral has to be Xenia. Several reasons for that. 1) They are hardy 2) Even though they are hardy they will tell you if you have _any_ water problem 3) They grow and it's always a huge encouragement to see something grow 4) Inexpensive. The Xenia will react to water quality, either good or bad, so as a beginner it will help you notice things you might miss. Yet even if it does bad for a bit it can come back stronger than ever. It's also supposed to be one of the easier corals to propogate so I'll practice on it before something more rare.
Bang Guy has a 900 gallon refugium, so he'd be a great resource for information on your basement project.

aqua_chick

ReefTankNewbie~
You had mentioned in an earlier post that your
"lfs sells fiji lr for 7.99# base lr 5.99# and a heavier lr which i cant remember more spiny looking for 8.99# is this about right or is this too much. it goes down 1$ every 40# (ie 7.99 for 39# or less 6.99 for 40-79 5.99 for 80-120)".....
I am not sure exactly where in VA you live but there is a fish store that sells fiji and tonga at 5.99/lb or less depending on how much you buy....check out http://www.marinescene.com/MarineSce...e/liverock.htm
I frequently visit this store even though it is a bit of a drive but worth it. they have nice rock selections. Plus they also sell true live sand.
Good luck!

I live in va beach but might have to make the trip just to see the store. Thanks for the store info.
Tj thanks for all the help i am hoping my fiji makes it til tomorrow i have 26#in two five gallon bucks about 13# in each with one power head on each. thanks for all your help and I will have to talk to bang guy.

I bought more rock and it is in a 60 gal rubbermaid 5' container with a light and powerheads. Question one should I go ahead and put my lace rock"not live" in there? more to follow. Reason tank isnt setup is they cracked it when they brought it to my apt. So they ordered a new one and it will be here and delivered saturday. Well patiance is something this hobby is teaching me and i dont even have my tank up yet. thanks again for all the help.

tjkohler

You could put the lace rock in there. The bacteria would start moving onto it. I would put the lace rock on the bottom though because it doesn't need any light, but there may be things on the Figi that does need light. I'm going to pose a question about the length of time you can keep the Figi in a container like that. I know it's far longer than you are intending, but you'll see the reason for my question in my post.

Thanks tj. I have heard of people keeping thier LR in rubbermaid containers for awhile with sand so they have LS too. My two power heads one heater and my icecap homemade lights on a timer is what i am doing. I will put in my base on bottom i have seen some hitchhikers a dead serpent star too. i got a rash after putting the rock in the container and asked the guy at the LFS he said i got my first taste of a bristle worm. What is a bristle worm? and will it make it. what is a good temp for my lr? I know i am a pain right TJ. Well thanks again for all your help.

tjkohler

I'd keep the temp anywhere between 78-82. As for bristle worms, most think of them as good things (myself included). Do a search on the forums here and you'll be able to see all the different opinions.

thanks tj i have been keeping it around 80 so i am good there. there is quite abit about bristle worms on here and most sounds good but at least i know there is still life. well almost to setup day so i will be ready and have a tank up and running. starting the cycle process. then about the clean up crew once it is cycled and then january start fish and coral. Maybe sooner depending on money and the feel of the tank. thanks again for all the help.