Is this enough wats per gallon.

scarr105

Is 4.7 watts per gallon good enough to keep Anemones and some basic corals such as Mushrooms and Zoos? i'm planning on running 48" Dual Satellite 4x65W SunPaq w/Lights (Current) on a 55 gallon tank. If I figured out the math right it's 260 watts / 55 = 4.7 per gallon.

reefiness

watts dont matter but it will work what you want exept the anemone i would either get BTA or LTA and place it more then half way up the tank

fraggle_a

From what I understand. Watts come into play if your planning on some UV illumination to kill Algee. Otherwise, its spectrum thats more important.
One guy told me I "HAD" to have 2 lights. Another said a good single source is just as good as long as you get the right bulb. ($100 on another hood, and run 2 lights, or per light to run a single source)
My understanding is that Corrals require more of the blue end of the spectrum, as well as a special liquid food. Anemone arnt as fussy.... I may have missunderstood the guy though.

scarr105

If you read these forum, everyone is alway talking about watts and not spectum, so I'm really confused now. So if I get the right spectrum bulb then the watts don't really matter.

scarr105

I currently have 48" Dual Satellite 2x65W SunPaq w/Lights on my 55 gallon. If the spectrum is right then the wattage doesn't really matter.

phoenixfla

I suggest you do a search on these boards. Watts certainly do matter. You can not put a night-light over your tank even if it gives off the correct spectrum. although it contribites to the intensity, wattage is not necessiarly THE intensity of the lights and I think it is probably the biggest misunderstanding. 150 watts of MH is much more useful to photosynthic animals (that require high amounts of lighting) than 150 watts of florescent.
Anemones require high amounts of lighting (believe me I have learned the hard way). I would reconsider purchasing an anemone unless you want to also get into small polyp stoney corals and/or tridacnid clams (which also need high intensity lighting), but to purchase an expensive light setup for one animal does not make sense to me.
As far as spectrum - 6700 degrees will produce the best results, but is not very pleasing to the eye (It produces a somewhat yellow light). You can run 6700 and suppliment with atinics, which looks great, or you can run 10000, 12000 or 14000, which are not quite as effective, but are much nicer to look at. I personally run 10000 with atinics and I like the colors that are produced.

scarr105

The confusing part of this is 150 watts is 150 watts. 150 watts of Mh or 150 watts of Florescent is the same 150 watts right, the real different is something else. And that difference is what make the MH better then the Florescent. I think the biggest problem is there is no real answer to the this, everyone has there own opinion on what is the best. It you read this forum you will get 100 different answer to the same question. I'm just trying to filter there all those answers to see if I can find a happy middle ground.

reefnut

The spectrum is just the "color" of the light, although important it's not what determines what lighting is needed. Wattage is a easy way to refer to lighting but as said it really doesn't apply. The "true" reading that does apply is the PAR out put. PAR= Photosynthetic Active Radiation or simply put... the amount of usable light the bulb produces. By "amount of usable light" I mean the lighting produced that can be used for photosyntheses. Sense this is not a common measurement from the manufacturers, and sense it changes through out the tank, it's hard to refer to the different lighting in PAR rating.
All that said, you will be fine running 4-65w PC on a 55g for soft corals and some LPS corals but stay away from light demanding corals, anemones, clams, etc.

scarr105

Now that is an answer that is helpful. Thank you for the great info ReefNut. Since I want to keep Anemones in my tank I guess I should not speand the money on the 4-65w PC lights. I have not canopy on my tank right now so I can't use the MH retro kits. So I guess I'll wait until I get a canopy and go with Mh lighting.

reefnut

Glad to help... I'm sure you have put this together but just to clarify... 150w of MHs will produce far more PAR than 150w of fluorescents. The reason is in the design of the bulb.

phoenixfla

Originally Posted by scarr105
The confusing part of this is 150 watts is 150 watts.
Watts is power consumption, not light produced.