Is this epoxy reef safe? DIY Rock wall help

asharp13

hi,
i am looking into building a mini rock wall for the right side of my 24gal nano. i plan on using eggcrate, rock rubble, and pond foam sealer to construct the majority of the structure. i have read that once the piece dries, people cover the bare spots in glue and sprinkle sand over it. can i use this loctite epoxy to glue the sand? has anyone ever used it before? if not, what have you used that worked and caused no ill affects? thanks in advance for the help!!!
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=49&plid=759

handbanana

Hello Sharp
I made a decent rock wall so maybe i can help a little. I used Egg crate, base rock, Great stuff pond foam, then i Used Zpoxy, Available at a hobby store, and sprinkeled sand on the wall. i did two coats of sand. I personally wouldnt use the locktite stuff because it might be hard to spread evenly to coat the wall for sanding. Hope this is at least a little help to you.
HB

asharp13

perfect yea i think im gonna go w zpoxy, ive read good things. which formula did you use? 5min, 20min, finish?

J

jstdv8

if you like the loctite they also have a two part that comes in bottles jsut like the higher end stuff. I saw it at home depot today while i was there.
I was reading some otehr threads about rock walls and it sounds like you need ALOT of it. This guy had a 155 gallon and he said he baought a case which has 24 containers and he had 3 left.
i can't wait to build myself a nice wall, i think they look really nice.
I was looking for an epoxy that was tan like the rocks so that you don't see so much black and then have tan rocks sticking out. maybe just ALOT of sand

kspops

I have not done a rock wall, but I wonder if you were to mix some sand with the Epoxy and make a slurry to paint on. JUust a suggestion.

handbanana

The Zpoxy I used was finishing resin with a working time of 30 mins. I tried making a sand plus Zpoxy goo wich was difficult to spread and clumped up. Its easyer to spread it with a brush and sprinkle sand down. The zpoxy came in a set of resin and hardiner that you mix. came with more than enough for two layers on my 60 gal wall. Good stuff