Is this going to work for my 5.5 gallon?

ogredawg

Ok so my nitrates started to go up so I tried changing the water couple of times but nothing happened. I couldn't afford a sump or refugium for me to put some chaeto or some kind of algae. So this is what I came up with, I just tried it today. (check image below.) Because the filter is see-thru do you think the light from my tank is enough for the chaeto to survive. Is this idea going to work in the long run?
Thanx for reading

laddy

It's inventive, don't get me wront, however I don't think you're going to accomplish too much with what a chunk of live rock and a small amount of chaeto. You're main concerns with establishing a 5.5g tank are: salinity swings (attributable to water loss), heating swings, enough current at the surface to (a) have decent carbon dioxide conversion and (b) enough for the tank inhabitants, biological filtration to get your nitrates down. I have had a 5.5g set up for about a year (crab and shrimp inhabitants only) and I have never had my nitrates register '0' in my tests--and I have about 10# of LR in there.