Is this good enough lighting for a 55gl?

wayway

Brand New In Box
JEBO 48" 220W(55wx4) Power Compact lighting.
SIZE: 48"L x 6.5"W x 2.25"H
FEATURES:
Sleek Aluminum Housing (Available in BLACK color only.)
Internal electronic Ballast
Highly Polished reflector
Heat Retaining Bands
Full clear arylic lens cover
Two separate ON/OFF switches.
I would like to keep anemones and differnt kinds of corals. What kind of corals can I get and How long should I have the lights on during the day.

jimmy g

Sorry no anemones...You really need MH's
You can get softies....I like recordias, yellow polyps, colts, mushrooms, ect.
There are lots to choose from.
The lights should be on 10-12 hours a day.
Hope this helps,
Jim

brinkdrum

Its usually not how much wattage, but how intense the bulbs are that you have. Many on the board suggest metal halide bulbs at least 175 watts to keep an anemone.

thedraven

Hi Wayway... I have the same light on my 75 gal fowlr, and theres no way you could keep coral or anemones. These guys are setting you on the right track if you want a reef tank, metal halide lighting or vho is the way to go. Power compacts are decent, but are not a good as the others and will not supposrt everything you want. For a decent lighting system for a 55, expect to spend $300-500. Good luck.

I

ivanfj

I wouldn't suggest you waste your money on that set of lights if you wanna keep any anemone. I am sure 1-175w MH would do it since a 55 isn't all that deep. For PC, I would go about 8-10 hrs, but for MH, I would only go about 5- 6 hours a day or else you would have a huge evaporation problem even if you have a fan or two.
As for other corals, you could start with some softies and maybe a few lower lighting hardies like a bubble coral, and hammer if you put it up higher.
HTH

I

ivanfj

Hard corals usually have a hard shell and you could see the shell when they are closed at night. Softies do not have any of that. Plus, you could spot feed hard corals and not really on softies.