Is this heater safe?

jmann020

i just picked this heater up from a friend. They said it gets hot. Which assumes it works. But I noticed some things on there that I haven't with past heaters.

What's that white stuff? And burn marks.

Is it safe?

I planned on using it in my new qt setup to test. Then to my show tank.

Please see pictures.

Attachments

2quills

No sir. I would throw it in the trash. As someone who has had their tank leak all of its water due to a heater malfunction I would not mess around with a questionable heater.

They by far have to potential to introduce high amounts of electrical current into a tank more so than other equipment.

Save yourself a head ache and play it safe when it comes to heaters. That one looks like it's shorted out already.

jmann020

Thanks for the wuick reply. My original heat got water in it and stop working. Thankfully nothing happened. and yes better safe then sorry I just need some reassurance

No sir. I would throw it in the trash. As someone who has had their tank leak all of its water due to a heater malfunction I would not mess around with a questionable heater.

They by far have to potential to introduce high amounts of electrical current into a tank more so than other equipment.

Save yourself a head ache and play it safe when it comes to heaters. That one looks like it's shorted out already.